LA Galaxy Announce 2014 Team Awards
CARSON, Calif. (Sunday, Oct. 19, 2014) - The LA Galaxy announced the winners for the club's 2014 Team Awards. For the LA Galaxy, Robbie Keane won Most Valuable Player while A.J. DeLaGarza won defender of the Year and Humanitarian of the Year. For LA Galaxy II, midfielder Andre Auras won Most Valuable Player honors, Daniel Steres won Defender of the Year and Chandler Hoffman earned Golden Boot honors with 14 goals in the 2014 USL PRO Regular Season. Jaime Villarreal earned LA Galaxy Academy Player of the Year honors.
LA Galaxy Most Valuable Player and Defender of the Year awards were determined through a vote from LA Galaxy media members.
Most Valuable Player Award: Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane has led a Galaxy frontline that has scored an MLS-best 69 goals, recording 19 goals and 14 assists during the 2014 MLS Regular Season, his best statistical year in both categories with the Galaxy. His 19 goals are third-most in MLS this season and his 14 assists rank second. Additionally, Keane has tallied five game-winning goals for the Galaxy. The Irishman now has 54 goals and 35 assists in his 84 appearances with the Galaxy.
Defender of the Year: A.J. DeLaGarza
Logging over 2,400 minutes, DeLaGarza has played in every defensive position for a Galaxy backline that has allowed an MLS-low 35 goals in addition to 10 shutouts. DeLaGarza has played in 28 matches this year, making 27 starts, more than any other LA Galaxy defender. The defender also notched a career-high two assists in 2014.
Humanitarian of the Year: A.J. DeLaGarza
A.J. DeLaGarza is always the first to volunteer his time to support the Los Angeles community. DeLaGarza has graciously given his time to Camps for Kids, visiting patients at Children's Hospital Los Angeles and unveiling a new soccer field in South Los Angeles. When his son, Luca, was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect he immediately thought of the other families affected by this condition and directed all monetary support to the Heart Center at CHLA raising over $25,000.
Golden Boot: TBA
The 2014 LA Galaxy Golden Boot winner will be confirmed following the Galaxy's match next Saturday, Oct. 25. Robbie Keane currently leads the club with 19 goals on the year, with fellow forward Gyasi Zardes in second with 16.
LA GALAXY II
Most Valuable Player Award: Andre Auras
Auras registered 22 appearances for Los Dos, scoring two goals and adding five assists throughout the USL PRO Regular Season. Auras anchored a midfield that helped create one of the league's best offensive outputs with 54 goals, the second best in USL PRO.
Defender of the Year: Daniel Steres
Steres was a mainstay in the LA Galaxy II defense, playing in 24 matches while adding three goals in regular season play. Steres was named to a USL PRO All-League Team for the second-straight year, also receiving 2013 Second Team honors as a member of the Wilmington Hammerheads.
Golden Boot: Chandler Hoffman
Hoffman, 24, finished the 2014 regular season with 13 goals in 17 appearances, giving him a .76 goals per game average, the highest in USL PRO. Hoffman's 13 goals were third-most in the League. In LA Galaxy II's USL PRO Playoffs quarterfinal match against the Rochester Rhinos, he also added a goal and an assist in the 2-1 victory.
LA GALAXY ACADEMY
Player of the Year: Jaime Villarreal
Villarreal most recently featured for the LA Galaxy Under-18 squad, scoring 10 goals to help lead his team to a 19-3-5 record and the Southwest Division Championship in the U.S. Soccer Development Academy 2013/2014 season. He also notched two goals to secure a 4-1 win over Chicago Magic PSG U-18 in the U.S. Soccer Development Playoffs. In total, Villarreal has tallied over 30 goals for the Galaxy U-18 and U-16 squads during his youth career. In July, he signed with LA Galaxy II in USL PRO, becoming the first LA Galaxy Academy player to sign a contract with Los Dos.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 20, 2014
- Join Heart & Sole of Team Burgundy in the Fight Against Diabetes - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Travel to Take on Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Curtain Comes Down on Regular Season with Much to Play for - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Chicago Fire and University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System Present Breast Cancer Awar - Chicago Fire
- Marcelo Sarvas Nominated for AT&T Goal of the Week - LA Galaxy
- Red Bulls Update: Playoff-Bound New York Wraps up CCL Play, MLS Regular Season - New York Red Bulls
- Dallas Looks for Third Straight Win in Regular Season Finale this Saturday - FC Dallas
- Lee Nguyen Nominated for MLS Goal of the Week - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Lee Nguyen Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Angerer, Sinclair Named to National Team Rosters for Upcoming Friendlies - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Host Houston Dynamo in 2014 Season Finale - Chicago Fire
- Pogatetz Provides Crucial Cover for Crew in Win over New York - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Rue Second-Half Collapse against Seattle - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Announce 2014 Team Awards - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Rally for 2-2 Tie with LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Surrender Two-Goal Lead to Draw 2-2 with Seattle - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy President Chris Klein and Dignity Health Sports Park General Manager Katie Pandolfo on Fans Being Allowed at Outdoor Sporting Events Starting April 1
- LA Galaxy Announce 2021 Preseason Schedule and Roster
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Derrick Williams
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo and Goalkeeper Jonathan Klinsmann Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Camp Roster
- LA Galaxy to Begin Preseason at Dignity Health Sports Park on Monday, March 1