New England Revolution Midfielder Lee Nguyen Voted MLS Player of the Week
October 20, 2014 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK (Monday, October 20, 2014) - New England Revolution midfielder Lee Nguyen was voted Major League Soccer Player of the Week by the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) for Week 32 of the 2014 MLS regular season.
Lee Nguyen netted a brace for the Revolution in their 2-1 win over Eastern Conference opponents the Houston Dynamo.
Nguyen's first goal came in the 65th minute of the match. After receiving a clever through ball from Revolution midfielder Jermaine Jones up the left side of the penalty area, Kevin Alston picked out Nguyen at the top of the box. With a shifty move to create space, the Revs midfielder curled his shot into the right upper 90 to bring the teams level at 1-1.
Nguyen's second goal came in the 87th minute and proved to be the game winner. After forward Charlie Davies fired a shot on goal, the ball was cleared off the line right to the feet of Revolution defender Darrius Barnes. A neat flick by Barnes found Nguyen, whose shot was just hard enough to get past the hand of Dynamo goalkeeper Tyler Deric.
The Revolution will host Toronto FC on Saturday, October 25 at 7:30 p.m. ET on TSN2, in their final regular season home game.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season by a panel of journalists from NASR. The group consists of members of print, television, radio and online media. More information and membership information can be found at http://www.soccerreporters.com/ .
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 20, 2014
- Join Heart & Sole of Team Burgundy in the Fight Against Diabetes - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Travel to Take on Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Curtain Comes Down on Regular Season with Much to Play for - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Chicago Fire and University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System Present Breast Cancer Awar - Chicago Fire
- Marcelo Sarvas Nominated for AT&T Goal of the Week - LA Galaxy
- Red Bulls Update: Playoff-Bound New York Wraps up CCL Play, MLS Regular Season - New York Red Bulls
- Dallas Looks for Third Straight Win in Regular Season Finale this Saturday - FC Dallas
- Lee Nguyen Nominated for MLS Goal of the Week - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Lee Nguyen Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Angerer, Sinclair Named to National Team Rosters for Upcoming Friendlies - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Host Houston Dynamo in 2014 Season Finale - Chicago Fire
- Pogatetz Provides Crucial Cover for Crew in Win over New York - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Rue Second-Half Collapse against Seattle - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Announce 2014 Team Awards - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Rally for 2-2 Tie with LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Surrender Two-Goal Lead to Draw 2-2 with Seattle - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.