Red Bulls Update: Playoff-Bound New York Wraps up CCL Play, MLS Regular Season
RED BULLS BATTLE FOR HIGHER PLAYOFF SEED IN REGULAR SEASON FINALE SUNDAY IN KANSAS CITY
Despite falling to the Columbus Crew 3-1 last Sunday, the New York Red Bulls can still finish as high as third place in the Eastern Conference MLS Cup Playoffs picture with a win against Sporting Kansas City on October 26 and a Columbus Crew loss or draw against Philadelphia.
Already assured of their 11th playoff berth in 12 seasons, the Red Bulls are currently alone in fifth place in the Eastern Conference with a 12-10-11 record and 47 points.
Red Bulls forward Bradley Wright-Phillips still leads the MLS Golden Boot race with 25 goals after scoring against Toronto FC on October 11 in a 3-1 win. The Englishman is just two shy of the single season record with one game remaining.
New York finishes third if:
New York defeats Sporting Kansas City and Columbus Crew lose to Philadelphia Union OR
*New York defeats Sporting Kansas City and Columbus Crew draw against Philadelphia Union
*and New York's goal differential is higher than Columbus's goal differential
New York finishes fourth if:
New York defeats Sporting Kansas City and Columbus wins against Philadelphia OR
*New York defeats Sporting Kansas City and Columbus draws against Philadelphia
*and New York's goal differential is less than Columbus's goal differential
New York finishes fifth if:
New York loses or draws against Sporting Kansas City
Below are the standings tie-breaking procedures if teams finish with same amount of points:
1. Total number of wins
2. Goal Differential (GD)
3. Goals For (GF)
4. Fewest Disciplinary Points
5. Road Goals Differential
6. Road Goal For
7. Home Goals Differential
8. Home Goal For
9. Coin Toss (2 clubs) or Drawing of Lots (3 or more)
RED BULLS POTENTIAL PLAYOFF DATES/PLAYOFF TICKETS ON SALE NOW
Although the Red Bulls clinched a playoff spot in the 2014 MLS Cup Playoffs, the club's postseason path has yet to be determined. Below are potential playoff dates for the Red Bulls.
If New York finishes in fourth or fifth place in the East:
Wednesday, October 28 or Thursday October 29 - Conference Knockout Round (Red Bulls would host if they finished fourth)
If New York finishes in third place in the East:
Saturday, November 1 or Sunday, November 2 - Conference Semifinal: Leg 1 (home)
Saturday, November 8 or Sunday, November 9 - Conference Semifinal: Leg 2 (away)
MLS CUP PLAYOFFS TICKET INFORMATION
Full-Season Ticket holders already have their same seats for the first two playoff matches included in their ticket plan. Remaining seats are now available to the general public by calling 1.877.RBSOCCER or logging onto tickets.newyorkredbulls.com.
NEW YORK CLOSES OUT CCL PLAY WEDNESDAY
The New York Red Bulls welcome the Montreal Impact to Red Bull Arena on Wednesday night in the club's final CONCACAF Champions League group play match. The Red Bulls were eliminated from CCL play with a 0-0 draw at C.D. FAS on September 24 in El Salvador. Montreal clinched Group 3 after New York's draw against C.D. FAS and winning its first three group stage games. The Red Bulls enter Wednesday's match with a 1-1-1 record and four points, while Montreal is 3-0-0 with nine points.
Featuring Italian star Marco Di Vaio, who recently announced his retirement at the conclusion of the season, Montreal has 27 points off a 6-18-9 record in MLS play. Tickets are available for the match by calling 1.877.RBSOCCER or logging onto tickets.newyorkredbulls.com.
Columbus Crew 3, New York Red Bulls 1
(2014 New York Red Bulls Full Schedule)
Red Bulls vs. Montreal Impact (CCL) at Red Bull Arena on October 22 at 8:00 PM ET (TV: FOX Sports 2)
Red Bulls at Sporting Kansas City at Sporting Park on October 26 at 8:30 PM ET (TV: ESPN2)
2014 MLS Cup Playoffs - New York Opponent and Date TBD
RED BULLS FINISH SEASON AS HIGHEST SCORING TEAM EASTERN CONFERENCE
Despite only scoring one goal against Columbus on October 19 at Red Bull Arena, New York finished the regular season as the highest scoring team in the Eastern Conference.
Team Goals Scored
1. New York Red Bulls 53
2. D.C. United 51
3. New England Revolution 50
Columbus Crew 50
5. Philadelphia Union 50
#DARE2BWP: WRIGHT-PHILLIPS TWO FROM RECORD, LEADS GOLDEN BOOT RACE
Bradley Wright-Phillips scored his 25th goal of the season against Toronto FC on October 11 to remain atop the MLS Golden Boot Race with one week remaining in the 2014 MLS regular season.
Watch all of BWP's goals from 2014
MLS GOLDEN BOOT RACE
1. Bradley Wright-Phillips (New York Red Bulls) 25
2. Dom Dwyer (Sporting Kansas City) 22
3. Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy) 19
4. Obafemi Martins (Seattle Sounders FC) 17
5. Lee Nguyen (New England Revolution) 17
Wright-Phillips' goal against Toronto FC at Red Bull Arena moved him to within two goals of the single-season all-time MLS scoring record set by Roy Lassiter and Chris Wondolowski. Wright-Phillips has one game remaining to catch Lassiter and Wondolowski.
MLS SINGLE-SEASON SCORING RECORDS
1. Roy Lassiter 27 (1996)
Chris Wondolowski 27 (2012)
3. Mamadou Diallo 26 (2000)
Stern John 26 (1998)
5. Bradley Wright-Phillips 25 (2014)
6. Carlos Ruiz 24 (2002)
7. Raul Diaz Arce 23 (1996)
Taylor Twellman 23 (2002)
9. Camilo Sanvezzo 22 (2013)
Dom Dwyer 22 (2014)
LLOYD SAM FINDS HIS FOURTH GOAL OF THE SEASON
Lloyd Sam scored his fourth goal of the season in New York's regular season home finale last Sunday in a 3-1 loss to the Columbus Crew. Sam split two defenders and cut into the 18-yard-box from the right wing before blasting home a right-footed shot. The Englishman is currently up for the MLS Goal of the Week award.
New York Red Bulls - Lloyd Sam scores against the Crew
Sam leads all field players in starts (31) and minutes (2,753) for New York this season and is second in assists with nine behind Thierry Henry's 14.
ROBLES SECOND IN THE LEAGUE IN SAVES
Luis Robles recorded four saves against the Columbus Crew in a 3-1 loss at Red Bull Arena last Sunday and is currently second in MLS in saves. Robles has played every minute of every game for New York this season, posting a 12-10-11 record with a 1.52 GAA and five shutouts.
1. Jon Busch (SJ) 135
2. Luis Robles (NY) 110
3. Bill Hamid (D.C.) 109
4. Steve Clark (CLB) 105
5. Donovan Ricketts (POR) 104
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 20, 2014
- Join Heart & Sole of Team Burgundy in the Fight Against Diabetes - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Travel to Take on Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Curtain Comes Down on Regular Season with Much to Play for - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Chicago Fire and University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System Present Breast Cancer Awar - Chicago Fire
- Marcelo Sarvas Nominated for AT&T Goal of the Week - LA Galaxy
- Red Bulls Update: Playoff-Bound New York Wraps up CCL Play, MLS Regular Season - New York Red Bulls
- Dallas Looks for Third Straight Win in Regular Season Finale this Saturday - FC Dallas
- Lee Nguyen Nominated for MLS Goal of the Week - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Lee Nguyen Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Angerer, Sinclair Named to National Team Rosters for Upcoming Friendlies - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Host Houston Dynamo in 2014 Season Finale - Chicago Fire
- Pogatetz Provides Crucial Cover for Crew in Win over New York - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Rue Second-Half Collapse against Seattle - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Announce 2014 Team Awards - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Rally for 2-2 Tie with LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Surrender Two-Goal Lead to Draw 2-2 with Seattle - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Statement from General Manager Marc De Grandpre
- New York Red Bulls Launch 1Beat Kit
- New York Red Bulls Sign Academy Product Bento Estrela
- New York Red Bulls Add Brazilian Forward Fabio Roberto Gomes Netto on Loan from Oeste FC
- New York Red Bulls Add Tom Edwards on Loan from Stoke City