Sounders FC Rally for 2-2 Tie with LA Galaxy
CARSON, Calif. - Clint Dempsey and Lamar Neagle scored second half goals as Seattle Sounders FC (19-10-4, 61 points) came from behind to draw, 2-2, with the LA Galaxy (17-6-10, 61 points) on Sunday evening at the StubHub Center. Seattle and LA remain tied atop the Supporters' Shield standings at 61 points apiece and face each other in the regular-season finale on Saturday, October 25 (12:00 p.m. PST / NBC).
A win for either team next Saturday would clinch the Supporters' Shield. In the event of a draw, Seattle would claim the Shield due to holding the first tiebreaker with more total wins.
LA Galaxy began the scoring in the final moments of the first half when a Seattle mis-clearance sailed to the center of the box to Baggio Husidic, who struck a low shot into the bottom right corner of the net to make it 1-0.
The score was extended to 2-0 in the 50th minute on a goal from Marcelo Sarvas. Off a corner kick, the ball rattled around the area before being knocked out toward Husidic. Husidic gained possession of the ball near the top of the box and passed it to set up a scoring strike from Sarvas.
In the 69th minute, Dempsey pulled one back to make the score 2-1. DeAndre Yedlin took the ball down the right side and sent a cross into the middle of the box to Obafemi Martins, who directed a touch to the far side of the goal. Dempsey followed-up with a left-footed finish at the near post for his 15th goal of the season.
Seattle tied the score at 2-2 in the 72nd minute. Attacking from the middle of the field, Martins drew in two defenders and sent a through ball into space on the right side. Neagle streaked down the flank and struck it passed Jaime Penedo for his career-high ninth goal of the season.
There were seven bookings during the game, including two from LA Galaxy's Omar Gonzalez, who was dismissed from the match in the 88th minute.
Dempsey's 15 goals are the second highest single-season total in club history, behind only Martins' 17 this season. With two assists tonight, Martins has 12 on the year, one shy of the club record 13.
Kickoff for Saturday's regular season finale is set for noon PST on the Xbox Pitch at CenturyLink Field. Tickets are still available for this pivotal season-ending match at SoundersFC.com or by calling 877-MLS-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 20, 2014
- Join Heart & Sole of Team Burgundy in the Fight Against Diabetes - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Travel to Take on Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Curtain Comes Down on Regular Season with Much to Play for - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Chicago Fire and University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System Present Breast Cancer Awar - Chicago Fire
- Marcelo Sarvas Nominated for AT&T Goal of the Week - LA Galaxy
- Red Bulls Update: Playoff-Bound New York Wraps up CCL Play, MLS Regular Season - New York Red Bulls
- Dallas Looks for Third Straight Win in Regular Season Finale this Saturday - FC Dallas
- Lee Nguyen Nominated for MLS Goal of the Week - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Lee Nguyen Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Angerer, Sinclair Named to National Team Rosters for Upcoming Friendlies - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Host Houston Dynamo in 2014 Season Finale - Chicago Fire
- Pogatetz Provides Crucial Cover for Crew in Win over New York - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Rue Second-Half Collapse against Seattle - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Announce 2014 Team Awards - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Rally for 2-2 Tie with LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Surrender Two-Goal Lead to Draw 2-2 with Seattle - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC, RAVE Foundation and Northwest African American Museum Present "Books & Balls" Giveaway Monday in Celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Sounders FC Announces New Partnership with Ticketmaster, Marking Rave Green's Return to the World's Leading Ticketing Provider
- Sounders FC Announces 2020 Team Awards
- Sounders FC Announces Gunbir Gill as Club's Official eMLS Gamer for 2021 Season
- Sounders FC Announces Roster Decisions to Conclude 2020 Season