Lee Nguyen Nominated for MLS Goal of the Week
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - New England Revolution midfielder Lee Nguyen's 65th minute strike against the Houston Dynamo last Thursday night is one of five nominees for MLS Goal of the Week for Week 32.
The nominated goal, which was Nguyen's first of two in the game, tied the score at 1-1 and helped the Revs claim a 2-1 victory on the road. Nguyen has a team-best - and career-high - 17 goals this season. This is his third goal of the week nomination on the year.
With the Revs trailing 1-0 in the 65th minute, Nguyen scored his 16th goal of the season to level the match. Jermaine Jones played in Kevin Alston behind the Dynamo defense and the left back played a low, first-time pass to the feet of Nguyen at the top of the penalty area. Nguyen dragged the ball past a sliding defender before curling a right-footed shot into the upper corner to even the score.
The score remained 1-1 until Nguyen stepped up again in the 87th minute, scoring his second goal of the game, 17th of the season and his MLS-best eighth game-winning goal this year.
Nguyen and the rest of the Revolution conclude the MLS regular season on Saturday, October 25, when they host Toronto FC at Gillette Stadium. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. ET, and the match will be televised by Comcast SportsNet and carried on the radio by 1510AM WUFC.
Following Saturday's match, the Revs will enter the MLS Cup Playoffs as the Eastern Conference's No. 2 seed. The Revolution will play the No. 3 seed on the road, either November 1 or 2, in Leg 1 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals, before returning home to Gillette Stadium for Leg 2 on either November 8 or 9.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 20, 2014
- Join Heart & Sole of Team Burgundy in the Fight Against Diabetes - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Travel to Take on Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Curtain Comes Down on Regular Season with Much to Play for - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Chicago Fire and University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System Present Breast Cancer Awar - Chicago Fire
- Marcelo Sarvas Nominated for AT&T Goal of the Week - LA Galaxy
- Red Bulls Update: Playoff-Bound New York Wraps up CCL Play, MLS Regular Season - New York Red Bulls
- Dallas Looks for Third Straight Win in Regular Season Finale this Saturday - FC Dallas
- Lee Nguyen Nominated for MLS Goal of the Week - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Lee Nguyen Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Angerer, Sinclair Named to National Team Rosters for Upcoming Friendlies - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Host Houston Dynamo in 2014 Season Finale - Chicago Fire
- Pogatetz Provides Crucial Cover for Crew in Win over New York - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Rue Second-Half Collapse against Seattle - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Announce 2014 Team Awards - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Rally for 2-2 Tie with LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Surrender Two-Goal Lead to Draw 2-2 with Seattle - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.