Angerer, Sinclair Named to National Team Rosters for Upcoming Friendlies
PORTLAND, Ore. - Portland Thorns FC today announced that goalkeeper Nadine Angerer (Germany) and forward Christine Sinclair (Canada) have been named to their respective national team rosters for upcoming friendlies.
Germany faces off against France on Saturday, Oct. 25, at Sparda-Bank Hessen Stadium in Offenbach, Germany; kickoff is at 5 a.m. (Pacific). Angerer and Germany then travel to take on Sweden on Oct. 29, at Behrn Arena in =D6rebro, Sweden; kickoff is set for 10 a.m. (Pacific).
Canada plays host to the reigning FIFA Women's World Cup champions, Japan, on Saturday, Oct. 25, at Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton, Alberta; kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. (Pacific). The two teams meet for a second time on Tuesday, Oct. 28, at BC Place in Vancouver, B.C.; kickoff is set for 7 p.m. (Pacific).
Angerer, 35, who is playing on loan with the Brisbane Roar of the Australian W-League, has started and played in four matches for Brisbane. In her first season with Thorns FC, Angerer appeared in 22 matches (all starts) during the 2014 NWSL regular season, finishing the season ranked fourth in the league in saves (74) and shutouts (4).
The 2013 FIFA Women's World Player of the Year and captain of the Germany Women's National Team, Angerer has 134 international caps. She appeared in seven matches during FIFA Women's World Cup qualifying, helping Germany earn a spot in the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup in September.
Sinclair, 31, appeared in 23 matches (22 starts) for Thorns FC during the 2014 NWSL season. In her second season with the club, Sinclair tallied seven goals and one assist, while leading the NWSL in shots (77) and shots on goal (40).
Canada has already qualified for the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup as the host country. Sinclair, the team's captain, has 200 international caps for her career and 147 goals - which ranks third all-time in women's international soccer.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 20, 2014
- Join Heart & Sole of Team Burgundy in the Fight Against Diabetes - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Travel to Take on Seattle Sounders FC - LA Galaxy
- Curtain Comes Down on Regular Season with Much to Play for - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Chicago Fire and University of Illinois Hospital & Health Sciences System Present Breast Cancer Awar - Chicago Fire
- Marcelo Sarvas Nominated for AT&T Goal of the Week - LA Galaxy
- Red Bulls Update: Playoff-Bound New York Wraps up CCL Play, MLS Regular Season - New York Red Bulls
- Dallas Looks for Third Straight Win in Regular Season Finale this Saturday - FC Dallas
- Lee Nguyen Nominated for MLS Goal of the Week - New England Revolution
- New England Revolution Midfielder Lee Nguyen Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chivas USA's Season Finale Kickoff Time Rescheduled - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Angerer, Sinclair Named to National Team Rosters for Upcoming Friendlies - Portland Timbers
- Chicago Fire Host Houston Dynamo in 2014 Season Finale - Chicago Fire
- Pogatetz Provides Crucial Cover for Crew in Win over New York - Columbus Crew SC
- LA Galaxy Rue Second-Half Collapse against Seattle - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Announce 2014 Team Awards - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Rally for 2-2 Tie with LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Surrender Two-Goal Lead to Draw 2-2 with Seattle - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Set to Host Top-Flight Liga MX Side in Leagues Cup at Providence Park
- Timbers Continue Preseason Tournament Play against Minnesota United FC
- Timbers Open Preseason Tournament with 2-1 Win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Timbers Statement on the Passing of Jimmy Conway
- Timbers Announce Broadcast Details for 2020 Season