Kym Lifts Spitters to Victory
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - In a defensive showdown, the Traverse City Pit Spitters rallied to walk it off against the Great Lakes Resorters 2-1 in front of 500 strong Friday night at Turtle Creek Stadium.
Both pitching staffs were outstanding as Spitters arms, Mike Hohlfeld and Zach Haefer, both combined to allow just one run on nine strikeouts while Resorters starting pitcher, James Rogers, came just one out shy of matching the Resorters season-high in innings pitched (6.2) before allowing the game-winning run to cross in the losing effort.
Great Lakes got men on second and third base in the top-half of the third but were unable to score any runs as Mike Hohlfeld struck out Noah Marcoux to end the inning - one of eight punch outs on the night - keeping us deadlocked at 0-0. In the bottom-half, Gaetano Vallone pounded an RBI-double into the gap to forge Traverse City out in front 1-0 before the Resorters responded with a lone tally in the fifth as Logan Matson and Champ Davison properly executed a double steal - plating Matson and tying the ballgame at 1-1. In the top of the seventh frame, Logan Matson reached base on his second base hit - his only multi-hit game this summer - but Great Lakes was unable to capitalize as Spitters left fielder, Brennan Chisholm, scorched a double into the gap before Hope College product, Brant Kym, plated him on a towering RBI - sending Traverse City on to their fourth walk-off victory this summer, 2-1.
Traverse City reliever, Zach Haefer (1-0), tossed three innings while allowing only one (unearned) run in his first victory on the campaign. James Rogers (1-4) lasted 6.1 frames while allowing just five hits on five strikeouts in his fourth loss this summer. The Spitters improve to 27-4 while the Resorters fall to 4-27.
The Traverse City Pit Spitters return to Turtle Creek Stadium to host the Great Lakes Resorters Saturday afternoon at 1:05PM. Pregame coverage with Nate Wangler begins at 1:00 PM on the Northwoods League Baseball Network. Tickets are available for any Pit Spitters/Resorters contest at pitspitters.com or by calling the front office at (231) - 943 - 0100.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from August 21, 2020
- Moose Come up Clutch in 3-2 Win - Bismarck Bull Moose
- Loggers Advance to WI/IL Pod Championship with 1-0 Win against Rafters - La Crosse Loggers
- Kingfish Defeat Bobbers 18-0 in Record Setting Night - Kenosha Kingfish
- Kym Lifts Spitters to Victory - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Tickets Available for Education Week - Bismarck Larks
- Rafters Face off against La Crosse Loggers in Playoff Opener - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Green Bay Heads to Fond du Lac for First Playoff Game Since 2015 - Green Bay Booyah
- The NWL Playoffs Start Tonight - La Crosse Loggers
- Rafters Walk-Off Winners in Final Game of Regular Season - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Rox Finish Season with 27-13 Record - St. Cloud Rox
- Woodchucks Sweep Loggers, End Season Strong - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Stingers Cap off 2020 with Win over St. Cloud - Willmar Stingers
- MoonDogs Finish Season on Losing Streak After Facing Bucks Thursday - Mankato MoonDogs
- Wesselmann Fans 14 in 5-3 Win - Bismarck Bull Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Traverse City Pit Spitters Stories
- Pit Spitters and Northwoods League Foundation to Giveaway $2,000 in Equipment
- Pit Spitters Release 2021 Schedule
- Pit Spitters 2021 Schedule to be Released at Drive Thru Lunch and Food Drive Saturday
- Limited Edition Pit Spitters Jersey Offered to 2021 Season Ticket Purchasers
- Films on the Field Moved to Next Week