Keys to the Match: Back in the BX
New York City Football Club are back at Yankee Stadium on Wednesday night, hosting FC Cincinnati.
The Boys in Blue return to The Bronx in a 7:30pm ET kick-off, in the second match of a three-game home stand.
Here are the Keys to the Match, presented by Ford...
Back In The Boogie Down
The City Boys are back in The BX for the first time since April's visit of Atlanta United.
Nick Cushing's side earned two wins and a draw from our opening three games at Yankee Stadium in 2023, having gone unbeaten in 10 matches on home soil before Saturday's visit of Philadelphia Union.
NYCFC have not tasted defeat in the Boogie Down since March 2022 but suffered a setback on New York turf for the first time since then at Citi Field last time out - and the Boys in Blue are ready to rebuild the fortress.
"We had a really good streak at home for a while," said Tayvon Gray. "I think we just have to get that back.
"We can't really dwell too much on this [last] game - we have a game on Wednesday and Saturday, so we are looking forward to it. We are just going to move on."
City welcome the Eastern Conference and Supporters Shield leaders to the Bronx in Cincinnati.
The Orange and Blue sit top of the standings with an impressive 33 points from their opening 14 games, tallying 10-1-3.
The Ohio side have been flawless at home this term with ten wins in all competitions at TQL Stadium but have had mixed results on the road of 2-1-3, defeating Colorado Rapids 1-0 last time out.
Nine of their 10 regular seasons wins have been earned with a one-goal margin - as was their US Open Cup victory over NYCFC three weeks ago.
New York will be encouraged by their fine overall record against Cincy (winning six and drawing two of the nine meetings, triumphing in the first six) but will be wary of an in-form outfit, who are also unbeaten in their last three against the City Boys.
The two sides lock horns for the second time this season with the US Open Cup encounter still fresh in the mind.
Brandon Vazquez's second half strike separated the sides on that night, but the goals have been shared around the Cincinnati roster, who will provide another physical challenge for the Boys in Blue.
Luciano Acosta leads their scoring charts with five goals and three assists, while Sergio Santos sits in second spot with one fewer, and Vazquez is tied with Junior Moreno on three.
Cincy will be without Obinna Nwobodo due to yellow card accumulation, while Head Coach Pat Noonan admitted Santos was doubtful, having suffered a knock against Colorado, alongside Nick Hagglund.
Meanwhile, Cushing is set to be without Thiago Martins through injury, but could welcome back Mitja Ilenić and Matías Pellegrini, while Richy Ledezma and Alfredo Morales are both in contention.
Tickets for NYCFC's visit of FC Cincinnati on Wednesday are available. Don't miss your chance to secure your seat at Yankee Stadium.
Sign-up for MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app - and never miss a moment of the 2023 season. Stream every regular-season, playoff, and Leagues Cup match. Every Screen. No Blackouts.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 31, 2023
- FC Cincinnati Finish May Undefeated with 3-1 Road Win at NYCFC - FC Cincinnati
- Driussi Returns to Score Late Winner as Austin FC Defeats Minnesota United - Austin FC
- Rapids Unable to Complete Rally, Fall 3-2 on the Road to Columbus Crew - Colorado Rapids
- CF Montréal Draws D.C. United, 2-2 - Club de Foot Montreal
- New England Revolution Battle Atlanta United to 3-3 Draw - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Ties Toronto FC 0-0 at BMO Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United Plays to 3-3 Draw vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Blake Earns Fifth Clean Sheet of the Season; Union Unbeaten in Eight MLS Matches - Philadelphia Union
- Full Time: Charlotte FC Falls Just Short in 1-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - Charlotte FC
- NYCFC lose, 1-3, to FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Recalls Defender Collin Smith from Loan with Birmingham Legion FC - FC Dallas
- LAFC to Take on Club León in the First Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League Final Tonight at 7 PM PT at Estadio León - Los Angeles FC
- Voting for the 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target Is Now Open - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Face off against Real Salt Lake at America First Field Tonight, Wednesday, May 31 - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Hosts the San Jose Earthquakes Wednesday Night at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Expected Goals: Upcoming Milestones for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Nashville Soccer Club Releases The Man in Black Collector's Box - Nashville SC
- Rapids at Columbus Crew Preview - Colorado Rapids
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New England Revolution
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Atlanta United FC
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- Injury Report: Three Absent vs. FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- Bmo and CF Montréal Introduce a Women's Program to Club's Academy - Club de Foot Montreal
- Carrie Underwood to Open for Guns N' Roses at GEODIS Park on August 26 - Nashville SC
- Keys to the Match: Back in the BX - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Host Third Annual Indigenous Peoples Celebration - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- CF Montréal in Washington D.C. Tonight - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- Council Member Francisco Moya Kicks off Holiday Season with Sixth Annual Thanksgiving Food Drive
- NYCFC Pair Selected for International Duty
- NYCFC Edges Inter Miami CF, 2-1
- New York City Football Club to Participate in the 2024 Coachella Valley Invitational
- Forward Gabriel Segal Returns to New York City Football Club from Loan