Atlanta United Plays to 3-3 Draw vs. New England Revolution
ATLANTA - Atlanta United played to a 3-3 draw against the New England Revolution Wednesday night before 42,915 fans at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Atlanta overcame a two-goal deficit in the second half, but conceded a late goal to split the points. Giorgos Giakoumakis scored his team-leading ninth goal of the season while Thiago Almada netted his seventh of the year. Miguel Berry produced a goal-of-the-season contender for his first tally with Atlanta United.
New England grabbed an early lead after an errant pass from goalkeeper Brad Guzan. Carles Gil collected the ball and slotted it in the bottom left corner for a 1-0 lead.
Atlanta immediately responded with a pair of scoring opportunities as Luiz Araújo had a good look at goal in the seventh minute following a counter attack, and Almada rattled the crossbar with a direct free kick that nearly leveled the match in the 12th minute.
Atlanta continued to threaten New England's goal with a series of attacks, taking 12 shots in the first half, but it was the visitors who managed to find the game's second goal in the 37th minute. Emmanuel Boateng received a pass on the left wing and sent a cross to the back post where Bobby Wood one-timed the ball into the back of the net.
Giakoumakis found a breakthrough for the home side in the 56th minute. After a spell of possession in New England's final third, Almada ripped a shot from the top of the box that was blocked by Matt Polster. The ball bounced to Andrew Gutman who also had his one-time attempt deflect off Polster and into the path of Giakoumakis, who toe-poked the ball into the bottom right corner past an on-rushing Djordje Petrovic.
Petrovic was called upon throughout the second half as Atlanta United relentlessly pressed for an equalizer. In the 64th minute, Araújo played a ball across the box to Tyler Wolff who immediately headed the ball down for Almada in the middle of the box. The Argentine ripped a shot on goal, but Petrovic made a quick reaction save to preserve the lead. Minutes later, Miles Robinson got involved in the attack and dribbled to the end line before cutting a cross back to the near post for Giakoumakis. The Greek forward settled the ball, but Petrovic smothered it before he could get his shot off.
Almada refused to be kept off the scoresheet and netted the match-leveling goal in the 74th minute. Matheus Rossetto played the ball to Almada 30 yards from goal on the right side where he quickly spun away from his defender and raced towards the box. He breezed by a second Revolution defender before ripping a shot at the top of the 18 that took a deflection off Omar Gonzalez on its way into the back of the net.
Berry checked into the match in the 84th minute and three minutes later scored a highlight-reel goal to complete the comeback. Brooks Lennon played a long ball intended for Almada, but Dave Romney cut out the pass. Berry trailed the play and immediately chested the ball down before firing a shot on the half-volley from roughly 23 yards out that soared into the left upper-90, leaving Petrovic with no chance of making a save.
Atlanta, however, couldn't hold on to the late lead as Gil scored his second of the night in the 93rd minute on New England's only shot of the second half. Andrew Farrell's cross from the right side was headed away by Juanjo Purata, but Gil collected the loose ball inside the box, evaded one defender and blasted a shot into the right side of goal.
Atlanta United (6-4-6, 24 points) returns to action when it travels to face Los Angeles FC on Wednesday, June 7 at BMO Stadium (10:30 p.m. EDT, MLS Season Pass, 92.9 The Game, La Mejor). All Atlanta United matches are available with an MLS Season Pass subscription, located on the Apple TV app.
Images from this story
Atlanta United's Miguel Berry on game night
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 31, 2023
- FC Cincinnati Finish May Undefeated with 3-1 Road Win at NYCFC - FC Cincinnati
- Driussi Returns to Score Late Winner as Austin FC Defeats Minnesota United - Austin FC
- Rapids Unable to Complete Rally, Fall 3-2 on the Road to Columbus Crew - Colorado Rapids
- CF Montréal Draws D.C. United, 2-2 - Club de Foot Montreal
- New England Revolution Battle Atlanta United to 3-3 Draw - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Ties Toronto FC 0-0 at BMO Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United Plays to 3-3 Draw vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Blake Earns Fifth Clean Sheet of the Season; Union Unbeaten in Eight MLS Matches - Philadelphia Union
- Full Time: Charlotte FC Falls Just Short in 1-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - Charlotte FC
- NYCFC lose, 1-3, to FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Recalls Defender Collin Smith from Loan with Birmingham Legion FC - FC Dallas
- LAFC to Take on Club León in the First Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League Final Tonight at 7 PM PT at Estadio León - Los Angeles FC
- Voting for the 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target Is Now Open - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Face off against Real Salt Lake at America First Field Tonight, Wednesday, May 31 - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Hosts the San Jose Earthquakes Wednesday Night at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Expected Goals: Upcoming Milestones for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Nashville Soccer Club Releases The Man in Black Collector's Box - Nashville SC
- Rapids at Columbus Crew Preview - Colorado Rapids
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New England Revolution
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Atlanta United FC
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- Injury Report: Three Absent vs. FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- Bmo and CF Montréal Introduce a Women's Program to Club's Academy - Club de Foot Montreal
- Carrie Underwood to Open for Guns N' Roses at GEODIS Park on August 26 - Nashville SC
- Keys to the Match: Back in the BX - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Host Third Annual Indigenous Peoples Celebration - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- CF Montréal in Washington D.C. Tonight - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Re-Signs Efraín Morales
- Thiago Almada, Giorgos Giakoumakis Named to 2023 MLS Best XI Presented by Continental Tire
- Atlanta United Announces Year-End Roster Moves
- Four Atlanta United Players Receive National Team Call-Ups for November FIFA Window
- Atlanta United's Playoff Run Comes to an End, Falls 4-2 to Columbus Crew