Expected Goals: Upcoming Milestones for Matchday 16
May 31, 2023 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
FC Cincinnati Continues Record-Setting Start
FC Cincinnati are turning a terrific start to 2023 into a historic one after they produced a narrow 1-0 victory against the Colorado Rapids on the road on Matchday 15. Cincinnati has now taken 33 points from their first 14 games and became just the fifth team in MLS history to accomplish that feat. The other four teams to do so all went on to win the Supporters' Shield that season.
With their match at New York City FC on Wednesday night (7:30 p.m. ET, MLS Season Pass), Cincinnati could tie for the second-most points in the first 15 games of a season in league history. The Orange and Blue would join the 1998 LA Galaxy (37 points,) 2001 Miami Fusion (36 points), and 2010 LA Galaxy (36 points) as the only teams to accumulate at least 36 points through their first 15 matches.
Stefan Frei Closing in on Triple-Digit Clean Sheets
Sounders goalkeeper Stefan Frei has already hit significant MLS milestones in 2023, rising to fourth in league history in saves. After a 1-0 shutout of the New York Red Bulls on Saturday, Frei can produce even more history on Wednesday evening against the San Jose Earthquakes in front of the home Seattle fans (10:30 p.m. ET, MLS Season Pass).
With a clean sheet, Frei can join Nick Rimando (154) and Kevin Hartman (112) as the only goalkeepers in MLS history to produce 100 career regular season shutouts. Additionally, Frei would be the second-fastest to reach that mark, doing so in just 362 career games. In 25 appearances against San Jose, Frei has seven clean sheets, but has failed to record one against the 'Quakes since 2020.
Dániel Gazdag Continues Building Union Legacy
After a career season in 2022, Dániel Gazdag continues to build his legacy in Philadelphia, scoring seven times this year for the Union. In his career, the Hungarian midfielder has been perfect from the penalty spot, going 14-of-14, which is the second-longest streak of successfully converted penalty kicks to start a career behind Seattle's Nicolás Lodeiro (18 straight, 2017-22).
The Union host Charlotte FC at Subaru Park on Matchday 16 (7:30 p.m. ET, MLS Season Pass) and Gazdag will have the opportunity to continue his ascent up the ranks of Philadelphia history. Gazdag currently sits at 33 regular season goals and is two behind Kacper Przybyłko (35) for the third-most and three behind CJ Sapong (36) for the second-most in club history. Gazdag scored in Philadelphia's first-ever match against Charlotte on April 2, 2022.
Cucho Hernández Adds Another Assist
One of the best goal scorers in MLS, the Crew's Cucho Hernández has turned provider over a recent stretch for Columbus. Hernández added the assist on the Crew's lone goal on Matchday 15 and he has now contributed an assist in four consecutive matches, becoming the first Columbus player to do so since Federico Higuaín in 2017.
With an assist against the Colorado Rapids on Wednesday night (7:30 p.m. ET, MLS Season Pass), Hernández would become the fifth player in club history to record an assist in five or more consecutive matches in the same season. The last player in Columbus annals to do so was Guillermo Barros Schelotto from July 4 to August 4, 2007.
Super Sub Jozy Altidore Climbs MLS Ranks
After falling behind in the 79th minute to Chicago Fire FC on Matchday 15, New England head coach Bruce Arena called on one of the best substitutes in MLS history, Jozy Altidore, to help find an equalizer for the Revolution. Altidore did just that, coming on in the 81st minute and adding the equalizer just two minutes later to snatch a point for the Revs.
Throughout his time in MLS, Altidore has consistently scored goals off the bench and the strike on Saturday was his 17th goal as a substitute. The former MLS Cup MVP can pass Chris Wondolowski, Major League Soccer's all-time leading scorer, for the third-most goals as a substitute on Wednesday if he comes on as a substitute and scores against Atlanta United on the road (7 p.m. ET, MLS Season Pass / FS1).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 31, 2023
- FC Cincinnati Finish May Undefeated with 3-1 Road Win at NYCFC - FC Cincinnati
- Driussi Returns to Score Late Winner as Austin FC Defeats Minnesota United - Austin FC
- Rapids Unable to Complete Rally, Fall 3-2 on the Road to Columbus Crew - Colorado Rapids
- CF Montréal Draws D.C. United, 2-2 - Club de Foot Montreal
- New England Revolution Battle Atlanta United to 3-3 Draw - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Ties Toronto FC 0-0 at BMO Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United Plays to 3-3 Draw vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Blake Earns Fifth Clean Sheet of the Season; Union Unbeaten in Eight MLS Matches - Philadelphia Union
- Full Time: Charlotte FC Falls Just Short in 1-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - Charlotte FC
- NYCFC lose, 1-3, to FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Recalls Defender Collin Smith from Loan with Birmingham Legion FC - FC Dallas
- LAFC to Take on Club León in the First Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League Final Tonight at 7 PM PT at Estadio León - Los Angeles FC
- Voting for the 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target Is Now Open - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Face off against Real Salt Lake at America First Field Tonight, Wednesday, May 31 - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Hosts the San Jose Earthquakes Wednesday Night at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Expected Goals: Upcoming Milestones for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Nashville Soccer Club Releases The Man in Black Collector's Box - Nashville SC
- Rapids at Columbus Crew Preview - Colorado Rapids
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New England Revolution
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Atlanta United FC
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- Injury Report: Three Absent vs. FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- Bmo and CF Montréal Introduce a Women's Program to Club's Academy - Club de Foot Montreal
- Carrie Underwood to Open for Guns N' Roses at GEODIS Park on August 26 - Nashville SC
- Keys to the Match: Back in the BX - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Host Third Annual Indigenous Peoples Celebration - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- CF Montréal in Washington D.C. Tonight - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.