Whitecaps FC Host Third Annual Indigenous Peoples Celebration
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC host the club's third annual Indigenous Peoples Celebration this coming Saturday, June 3 as the 'Caps take on Sporting Kansas City at BC Place.
Kickoff will be at 7:30 p.m. PT. Tickets are available at whitecapsfc.com/tickets.
Indigenous Artists Market
A number of Indigenous vendors and performers will create a lively atmosphere on Terry Fox Plaza before the match, starting at 4 p.m. PT.
Artists' work will be available for sale from:
Copper Canoe Woman
Keep it Native
Raven and hummingbird tea co (rhtea.co)
Shining Bear Designs
Canoe Cultures will be on-site doing a live paddle carving with a knowledge keeper. Canoe Cultures is an Indigenous led organization, dedicated to the art and culture of the canoe, and the artists who create them. They present visual and performing arts as their primary means of transmitting Indigenous culture and communicating identity, place and belonging.
DJ O Show and the Tsatsu Stalqayu (Coastal Wolf Pack) will be returning, and this year providing pre-match entertainment on Terry Fox Plaza.
Madelaine McCallum will also be performing on Terry Fox Plaza. McCallum is a gifted dancer, motivational speaker, facilitator, and MC from Ile a la Crosse, Saskatchewan. She is often known immediately for her Métis dance (she's been jigging since she could walk!), but she loves all forms of dance including Pow Wow, contemporary, hip hop, and movement from the soul.
Also on Terry Fox Plaza will be the first Warmup of the year, starting at 4 p.m. PT. The pre-match patio party features music, food and beverage specials, and face painting.
Pre-match jamboree, supported by BMO
More than 75 Indigenous youth from across the region will take part in a pre-match jamboree on the pitch at BC Place.
This will be the third year for the event, which has been supported by BMO from year one to make it special for all participants.
Coast Salish anthem and land acknowledgement
For the first time in league history, the Coast Salish anthem will be performed alongside the United States and Canadian national anthems. The Coast Salish anthem is a prayer song written by Chief Dan George and gifted to the Salish people for their journey through the healing process.
The anthem, along with the land acknowledgement, will also be shown on the MLS Season Pass broadcast on Apple TV.
Ahead of National Indigenous History Month in June, Whitecaps FC are bringing back the commemorative logo designed by xÊ·mÉÎ¸kÊ·ÉyÌÉm (Musqueam) artist Debra Sparrow.
Sparrow was born and raised in the Musqueam Indian Band and is an acclaimed weaver who has been weaving for 20 years and is deeply involved with the revival of Musqueam weaving. She is self-taught in Salish design and jewelry-making and continues to work on pieces close to her heart at her home in Musqueam. Her hope is to educate others about the beauty and integrity of her people's history through her art.
Scarves featuring Sparrow's design work will also be for sale in-stadium and online, with partial proceeds going to the artist. The scarves will be available at sections 205, 222, 233, and 249.
Fans are encouraged to join in the player welcome as they arrive to the stadium. Anyone interested should be at the West Entrance of BC Place off of Expo Boulevard between 5:00-5:15 p.m. PT to be taken to the player entrance. Greet the team, take photos, get autographs, and cheer the 'Caps on!
Be in your seats before kickoff, as the Tsatsu Stalqayu (Coastal Wolf Pack), return to perform on the pitch at BC Place for a third straight year!
Player warmup tops with Hope and Health
Whitecaps FC players will be wearing special warmup tops from the club's partners at Hope and Health. The jerseys commemorate the 10th anniversary of Hope and Health and the 10th anniversary of the partnership with Whitecaps FC. They will be worn throughout the year at all Hope and Health camps.
DJ O Show and Madelaine McCallum will move inside after their pre-match performances on Terry Fox Plaza, putting on a show for the crowd at BC Place. After years aspiring to work together, the duo will be collaborating for the first time.
Please join in welcoming the following Whitecaps FC alumni to Saturday's match, including Terry Felix - the first indigenous player to play professionally in North America, and the first to represent Canada.
Staff educational panel
In the week leading up to the match, Whitecaps FC staff will be participating in an educational panel on sports, resiliency, and building community. The club will hear from:
Brad Baker, associate superintendent of Indigenous Education (BC) and Class B Member of the Canadian Olympic Committee
Joleen Mitton, All My Relations Basketball
Tawnshi will also be providing special hand-crafted Indigenous-inspired charcuterie.
Vancouver Whitecaps FC are proud to partner with KidSport BC for the club's 50/50 program! All proceeds from the 50/50 program will be donated to Kid Sport BC to help to improve the lives of children and youth in our community. Buy your tickets on the concourse, visit their table at sections 220, or buy online at whitecapsfc.com/5050.
KidSport is committed to supporting kids from marginalized populations that are often underrepresented in sport. Over the past three years, KidSport has funded sport for nearly 2,000 Indigenous children and youth.
March to the Match
Join the supporters on the March to the Match down Robson street to BC Place. The march will depart from Dublin Calling at 6:15 p.m. PT, and will also see supporters joining from the Ox Pub on Robson and Granville.
Check out the RE/MAX Family Zone at section 226, featuring colouring at 'Caps Clubhouse. If it's your child's first match, don't forget to stop by and pick up a certificate to commemorate the occasion.
The Kids Combo at Dawson's Hot Dogs (214 and 241) is $6.50 for a hot dog, chips, fountain soda.
The Kids Combo at Lions Gate Grill (228 and 254) is $6.50 for chicken strip, fries and fountain soda.
BC Place has announced a new $5 menu this year, in collaboration with Sodexo Live!, including $5 beer, hot dogs, nachos, and popcorn. Limited-release items may appear on the menu throughout the year.
The $5 Menu is available at Dawson's Hot Dogs stands at sections 201 and 227.
Gates A, C, H, E, G, and the Accessible drop-off/pick-up located along Pacific Boulevard at section 147 will all be open for entry starting at 6:30 p.m. PT. Gates for suite entry will open at 6 p.m. PT.
Kickoff is officially at 7:39 p.m. PT.
Stand by Me
Make sure to stay in your seats post-match for every Whitecaps FC home win. Get your phones out and join the team in the singing of Stand by Me!
Want more matches for your money?
Pick three or more matches from only $66 and unlock exclusive benefits: whitecapsfc.com/flex.
The Asahi Super Dry Landing
The Asahi Super Dry Landing provides the perfect atmosphere to kick back with the squad, entertain clients, or enjoy an evening with the family with the best views in BC Place - right behind the player benches!
Asahi Super Dry is also available at sections 203, 209, 234, 248.
The last call for alcohol in the stadium will be the 75th minute of the match.
Videoboard special messages
Get on the big screen at BC Place!
You can get your personalized message on the videoboard during an upcoming Whitecaps FC match. All proceeds go to the Greater Vancouver Food Bank. Fill out the form at whitecapsfc.com/matchday/videoboard.
Bring the whole squad.
Save up to 33% and get access to special experiences when you buy 10+ tickets. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clear bags/Bag Check
For ease of entry, Whitecaps FC and BC Place recommend you don't bring a bag to the stadium.
If you do bring a bag, make sure it's made of clear plastic and smaller than 12"x12"x6". Exceptions will be made for diaper bags and medically necessary items that do not fit into a clear bag. You can bring one small opaque bag, but it can't be larger than 6.5"x 8.5". All bags will be inspected prior to entry.
All tickets for Whitecaps FC matches are through mobile ticketing, providing a contactless and paperless experience.
Season ticket members and pack holders will need to access their tickets through whitecapsfc.com/accountmanager. Single match buyers will access their tickets through Ticketmaster.
In order to reduce the potential for hand-to-hand contact, and to improve the efficiency of payment transactions, BC Place is now a cashless venue.
Concessions and food and beverage vendors will accept all major digital forms of payment including Mobile, Debit Cards, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Google Pay and Apple Pay. Cash payments will not be accepted.
There will be a Cash to Card kiosk located at Sec 235 where guests can exchange cash for cards to use at the food and beverage locations throughout the stadium.
Keep an eye out for a number of special events throughout the season celebrating our community. Next up is Pride Night against Seattle Sounders FC on July 8: whitecapsfc.com/news/whitecaps-fc-announce-2023-celebration-matches.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 31, 2023
- FC Cincinnati Finish May Undefeated with 3-1 Road Win at NYCFC - FC Cincinnati
- Driussi Returns to Score Late Winner as Austin FC Defeats Minnesota United - Austin FC
- Rapids Unable to Complete Rally, Fall 3-2 on the Road to Columbus Crew - Colorado Rapids
- CF Montréal Draws D.C. United, 2-2 - Club de Foot Montreal
- New England Revolution Battle Atlanta United to 3-3 Draw - New England Revolution
- Chicago Fire FC Ties Toronto FC 0-0 at BMO Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United Plays to 3-3 Draw vs. New England Revolution - Atlanta United FC
- Blake Earns Fifth Clean Sheet of the Season; Union Unbeaten in Eight MLS Matches - Philadelphia Union
- Full Time: Charlotte FC Falls Just Short in 1-0 Loss to Philadelphia Union - Charlotte FC
- NYCFC lose, 1-3, to FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- FC Dallas Recalls Defender Collin Smith from Loan with Birmingham Legion FC - FC Dallas
- LAFC to Take on Club León in the First Leg of the CONCACAF Champions League Final Tonight at 7 PM PT at Estadio León - Los Angeles FC
- Voting for the 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target Is Now Open - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy Face off against Real Salt Lake at America First Field Tonight, Wednesday, May 31 - LA Galaxy
- Sounders FC Hosts the San Jose Earthquakes Wednesday Night at Lumen Field - Seattle Sounders FC
- Expected Goals: Upcoming Milestones for Matchday 16 - MLS
- Nashville Soccer Club Releases The Man in Black Collector's Box - Nashville SC
- Rapids at Columbus Crew Preview - Colorado Rapids
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - New England Revolution
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Atlanta United FC
- Voting Opens Today for 2023 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- Injury Report: Three Absent vs. FC Cincinnati - New York City FC
- Bmo and CF Montréal Introduce a Women's Program to Club's Academy - Club de Foot Montreal
- Carrie Underwood to Open for Guns N' Roses at GEODIS Park on August 26 - Nashville SC
- Keys to the Match: Back in the BX - New York City FC
- Whitecaps FC Host Third Annual Indigenous Peoples Celebration - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- CF Montréal in Washington D.C. Tonight - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Raposo Scores As 'caps Start The Season With A Point
- Russell Teibert Hangs up Boots After 16 Years as a Player with Whitecaps FC
- Whitecaps FC Sign WFC2 Midfielder Jay Herdman to Second MLS Short-Term Agreement
- MNP and Vancouver Whitecaps FC Announce Renewal of Multi-Year Partnership
- Whitecaps FC and BC Soccer Announce Renewed Partnership