Keller Deals as Tribe Drop Bats, 3-1
INDIANAPOLIS - A 50-minute rain delay ended a stellar performance by Mitch Keller, but the Tribe bullpen recorded the final five outs to finish off a 3-1 victory over Louisville on Monday night. Keller scattered six hits and allowed just one run with six punchouts in 7.1 innings pitched, his longest outing of the season.
Indianapolis (40-34) won consecutive games for the first time since June 5-6 thanks to Keller's dominance and a two-run homer by Steven Baron in the second inning, his second of the year and first since April 24 at Gwinnett.
Louisville (28-48) continued its struggles in June, falling to a league-worst 5-17 in the month. Ossian, Ind. native Josh VanMeter gave the visitors their only run with a solo homer in the fourth. The long ball was his 14th of the campaign.
Keller (W, 6-1) cruised after the dinger, retiring the side in the fifth and sixth and working around a two-out single in the seventh. He exited with two on and one away in the eighth due to the heavy rains, but Tyler Lyons cleaned up the post-delay trouble by inducing a double play to shortstop Cole Tucker.
Lyons remained in the game and retired two left-handed batters in the ninth before Montana DuRapau (S, 6) recorded the final out for the save. Right-handed batters are just 2-for-44 (.045) against DuRapau in Triple-A this season.
Indy's third run of the game came in the fifth on a bases-loaded walk by Kramer.
Vladimir Gutierrez (L, 2-6) surrendered three unearned runs on five hits and two walks with six strikeouts in 7.0 innings of work.
The Indians and Bats wrap up their two-game set on Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. ET. The Tribe will send Eduardo Vera (3-5, 5.94) to the bump against Tejay Antone (1-0, 8.44).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 24, 2019
- Bisons Remain Red-Hot on Road, Defeat Pawtucket 10-6 - Buffalo Bisons
- Keller Deals as Tribe Drop Bats, 3-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Break It Open Late, Rout Tides 13-4 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Gwinnett Punishes Tides Late - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Belt Four Homers En Route to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- VanMeter Homers, Gennett Goes 2-For-4 in Bats' 3-1 Loss - Louisville Bats
- New Faces Pace Wings' Comeback Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings hit three home runs, score six times over final three innings for win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Drop Monday's Opener in Durham 7-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Drop Series Opener, 4-3, to IronPigs - Syracuse Mets
- Castillo's go-ahead two-run double gets win in Syracuse - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Ride Long Ball to Victory - Durham Bulls
- Alexander Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (39-34) vs. Louisville Bats (28-47) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (28-47) at Indianapolis Indians (39-34) - Louisville Bats
- Jack Lopez Named International League Batter of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- Sportsnet 590 the FAN in Toronto to Air Nine Bisons' Games in 2019 - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Have a Blast at the Ballpark June 28 to July 3 - Toledo Mud Hens
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.