Alexander Named International League Pitcher of the Week
The International League announced Gwinnett infielder Jack Lopez and Toledo left-hander Tyler Alexander have been named the League's Batter and Pitcher of the Week for the period covering June 17-23. Lopez is the fourth member of the Stripers to be so honored this season, following Mike Soroka (April 4-7), Andres Blanco (April 8-14), and Austin Riley (May 6-12), while
Alexander is the second member of the Mud Hens to claim a weekly award, joining Victor Reyes (June 3-9).
TYLER ALEXANDER IL PITCHER OF THE WEEK
Tyler Alexander picked up his second win of the season with a dominating performance that helped Toledo shutout Rochester on Saturday, 2-0. Alexander struck out twelve batters while giving up just two hits over 7.0 scoreless innings of work. The victory was his first in nine attempts to pick up his second victory after getting the first on May 2. The scoreless performance lowered his ERA on the season from 6.50 to 5.86.
24-year-old Tyler Alexander is in his fifth season pitching professionally. He was seleced by the Tigers in the 23rd round of the 2013 draft. He first reached the Triple-A level in 2018, going 3-6 over 17 appearances. Alexander is a native of Chicago, IL.
JACK LOPEZ IL BATTER OF THE WEEK
Over the past week, Gwinnett's Jack Lopez led the International League with 13 hits, a .619 batting average, nine runs scored, and a .667 on-base percentage. He hit safely in five of the six games he played this week, collecting multiple hits each time. The highlight was a 4-for-4 game Tuesday as Gwinnett bested Louisville 5-3. Lopez's hot hitting this week improved his batting average for the 2019 season from .281 to .323.
26-year-old Jack Lopez is in his eigth season playing professionally. He signed with the Braves this past offseason after having spent the first seven seasons of his career in the Kansas City farm system.
Lopez is a native of Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 24, 2019
- Bisons Remain Red-Hot on Road, Defeat Pawtucket 10-6 - Buffalo Bisons
- Keller Deals as Tribe Drop Bats, 3-1 - Indianapolis Indians
- Stripers Break It Open Late, Rout Tides 13-4 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Gwinnett Punishes Tides Late - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Belt Four Homers En Route to Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- VanMeter Homers, Gennett Goes 2-For-4 in Bats' 3-1 Loss - Louisville Bats
- New Faces Pace Wings' Comeback Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Red Wings hit three home runs, score six times over final three innings for win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Drop Monday's Opener in Durham 7-2 - Charlotte Knights
- Mets Drop Series Opener, 4-3, to IronPigs - Syracuse Mets
- Castillo's go-ahead two-run double gets win in Syracuse - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Ride Long Ball to Victory - Durham Bulls
- Alexander Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Toledo Mud Hens
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (39-34) vs. Louisville Bats (28-47) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (28-47) at Indianapolis Indians (39-34) - Louisville Bats
- Jack Lopez Named International League Batter of the Week - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Pawtucket (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- Sportsnet 590 the FAN in Toronto to Air Nine Bisons' Games in 2019 - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Have a Blast at the Ballpark June 28 to July 3 - Toledo Mud Hens
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.