Justin Jones Puts Bitter End to Cougars' Weekend
Geneva, Illinois - The Kane County Cougars (38-35, 3-1) blew a three run ninth-inning lead and lost, 7-6, on Justin Jones' tenth inning walk-off homer for the Burlington Bees (40-34, 1-3). It was the fourth time this year the Cougars lost in walk-off fashion. The loss denied the Cougars a four-game sweep and snapped a season-high five-game winning streak.
Burlington snatched an early edge on Spencer Griffin's first inning RBI single. In the third, Alek Thomas hit his team-leading seventh homer of the year, a three-run shot to put the Cougars in front 3-1. D.C. Arendas trimmed the Bees' deficit to one-run with an RBI single in the bottom of the inning. Two RBI from Eduardo Diaz, a fifth inning solo homer and a sixth inning bases-loaded walk, handed the Cougars two insurance runs.
In the bottom of the ninth, Cougar reliever Andy Toelken allowed a pair of singles before being pulled for Kai-Wei Lin with one out. Lin allowed a two-run double to Nonie Williams, slashing the Cougar lead to 5-4. With two outs, Harrison Wenson singled in the game-tying run.
In extra innings, the Cougars retook the lead on Geraldo Perdomo's RBI double. However, the Cougars stranded two runners when Diaz wrapped into an inning-ending double play. Lin stayed on to pitch the bottom of the tenth. Justin Jones was the first batter he faced. Jones yanked the walk-off two-run homer inside the left field foul pole.
Lin (2-2) suffered the loss and the blown save (2). Over 0.2 innings he allowed three runs (two earned). Tyler Smith (5-1) took home the win. He pitched a scoreless ninth and the run he allowed in the tenth was unearned.
The Cougars are off Monday before opening a four-game series at Northwestern Medicine Field Tuesday night against Beloit, beginning at 6:30. RHP Levi Kelly (2-0, 2.97) takes the ball for the Cougars against Snappers RHP Rafael Kelly (1-0, 0.00). Purchase tickets by calling 630-232-8811 or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Kernels Split Series with Wild Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blow Late Lead, Fall to Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Qsar, Santiago Homer as Rally Falls Short in 11-10 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Justin Jones Powers Bees to First Win of Second Half - Burlington Bees
- Justin Jones Puts Bitter End to Cougars' Weekend - Kane County Cougars
- Nuts Outscore Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Win Shootout Versus Hot Rods 11-10 - South Bend Cubs
- Brats, Beer, & Beethoven No. 5 Scheduled for July 5 at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Big Inning Lifts Lansing to 9-6 Win over Dragons; Teams Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Walk It off on Back-To-Back Jacks - Lake County Captains
- Skids Snapped with 4-1 LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 'Caps End Road Trip with One-Run Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Fall 4-1 to the LumberKings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bullpen Wastes Grand Slam in 7-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Today's Game Postponed - Beloit Snappers
- Sunday Funday in Midland - Great Lakes Loons
- Bandits Postponed by Unplayable Field Conditions in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 23 at Great Lakes (Game 72) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- U.S. Cellular and Timber Rattlers Are Taking over Youth Baseball Games - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Can't Complete Comeback and Fall to Hot Rods 2-1 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.