Cubs Can't Complete Comeback and Fall to Hot Rods 2-1
South Bend, IN: In a neck-and-neck and low scoring series through the first three games of the Midwest League's second half, the Bowling Green Hot Rods beat the South Bend Cubs 2-1 on Saturday night from Four Winds Field. Going into the finale tomorrow, the Cubs will look to regroup as their offense has scored just two runs to start the series.
In game three, Cubs starter Faustino Carrera hoped to become the first South Bend pitcher to reach five wins this season. Despite giving up just two runs in five innings, Carrera took the loss as the Cubs could not take him off the hook.
The Hot Rods plated each of their two runs in the top of the 2nd inning with Tony Pena having a role in both of them. With a runner on, Pena smashed a single into center field to score the speedy Grant Witherspoon for the 1-0 advantage.
With Pena then at first base, Carrera threw over to try and pick him off. However, Carrera threw the ball away and Pena sprinted around to score all the way from first. This would be the game winning run.
Out of the bullpen, Enrique De Los Rios made his return to Four Winds Field and tossed 2.1 innings of shutout baseball with a strikeout. Sean Barry finished things off with 1.2 scoreless frames and lowered his ERA to a miniscule 1.08.
Offensively, the Cubs got some help from their All-Star shortstop Andy Weber as he ripped a single in the 8th inning and plated Marcus Mastrobuoni. Mastrobuoni doubled into the left field corner to start the frame.
The game went to the bottom of the 9th with the Cubs needing one to tie and two to win. After a pair of hits from Christopher Morel and Jonathan Sierra, South Bend had the tying and winning runs on base with Gustavo Polanco at the plate. Polanco hit a hard ground ball to shortstop, but new number one overall prospect in baseball Wander Franco made the play at second to end the game.
The Cubs now sit at 38-33 on the season heading into the series finale tomorrow afternoon at 2:05 p.m. Right-hander and Midwest League All-Star Cam Sanders is the expected starter for South Bend.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Kernels Split Series with Wild Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blow Late Lead, Fall to Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Qsar, Santiago Homer as Rally Falls Short in 11-10 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Justin Jones Powers Bees to First Win of Second Half - Burlington Bees
- Justin Jones Puts Bitter End to Cougars' Weekend - Kane County Cougars
- Nuts Outscore Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Win Shootout Versus Hot Rods 11-10 - South Bend Cubs
- Brats, Beer, & Beethoven No. 5 Scheduled for July 5 at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Big Inning Lifts Lansing to 9-6 Win over Dragons; Teams Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Walk It off on Back-To-Back Jacks - Lake County Captains
- Skids Snapped with 4-1 LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 'Caps End Road Trip with One-Run Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Fall 4-1 to the LumberKings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bullpen Wastes Grand Slam in 7-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Today's Game Postponed - Beloit Snappers
- Sunday Funday in Midland - Great Lakes Loons
- Bandits Postponed by Unplayable Field Conditions in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 23 at Great Lakes (Game 72) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- U.S. Cellular and Timber Rattlers Are Taking over Youth Baseball Games - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Can't Complete Comeback and Fall to Hot Rods 2-1 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- Statement on 2020 Season
- South Bend Cubs Host Movie Night and Fireworks Show on July 10
- Pastime Youth Baseball Tournaments Held at Four Winds Field
- Four Winds Field to Host South Bend Community School Corporation Graduations July 24 & 25ÃÂ
- Cubs Host Evening at Four Winds Field