'Caps End Road Trip with One-Run Loss
MIDLAND, Mich. - For the second day in a row, the TinCaps lost to the Great Lakes Loons (Los Angeles Dodgers affiliate) by a score of 2-1 at Dow Diamond on a pristine 80-degree and sunny Sunday afternoon.
Efraín Contreras tossed a masterful start for the TinCaps (1-3, 34-38), utilizing a wicked curveball en route to five hitless and scoreless innings with eight strikeouts. The 19-year-old from Mexico tied a season-high for strikeouts during his brilliant performance.
On the flip side, Jose Martinez was electric as well for Great Lakes (3-1, 46-25). The 20-year-old Venezuelan tossed six scoreless frames of his own, allowing just three hits while striking out four Fort Wayne batters. Martinez had not gone longer than 5.0 innings in any prior start this season.
The Loons opened the scoring in the seventh when Luke Heyer smacked a solo home run leading off the frame. Heyer now has two home runs against the TinCaps this season.
Each side scored an unearned run in the ninth.
TinCaps right fielder Agustin Ruiz had a game-high three hits as he went 3-for-4 with a double. Ruiz was 8-for-17 (.471) with a .500 on-base percentage in the series.
After a day off on Monday, the 'Caps begin a seven-game homestand on Tuesday.
Tuesday, June 25 vs. South Bend (7:05 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Gabe Mosser
- Cubs Probable Starter: TBA
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
Watch: Comcast Network 81 & MiLB.TV
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Kernels Split Series with Wild Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blow Late Lead, Fall to Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Qsar, Santiago Homer as Rally Falls Short in 11-10 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Justin Jones Powers Bees to First Win of Second Half - Burlington Bees
- Justin Jones Puts Bitter End to Cougars' Weekend - Kane County Cougars
- Nuts Outscore Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Win Shootout Versus Hot Rods 11-10 - South Bend Cubs
- Brats, Beer, & Beethoven No. 5 Scheduled for July 5 at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Big Inning Lifts Lansing to 9-6 Win over Dragons; Teams Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Walk It off on Back-To-Back Jacks - Lake County Captains
- Skids Snapped with 4-1 LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 'Caps End Road Trip with One-Run Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Fall 4-1 to the LumberKings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bullpen Wastes Grand Slam in 7-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Today's Game Postponed - Beloit Snappers
- Sunday Funday in Midland - Great Lakes Loons
- Bandits Postponed by Unplayable Field Conditions in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 23 at Great Lakes (Game 72) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- U.S. Cellular and Timber Rattlers Are Taking over Youth Baseball Games - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Can't Complete Comeback and Fall to Hot Rods 2-1 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.