Skids Snapped with 4-1 LumberKings Win
GRAND CHUTE, WI - The longest losing streak of the season came to an end for the Clinton LumberKings with a 4-1 win over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers on Sunday afternoon at Neuroscience Group Field. Tyler Jones and Tyler Mitzel combined to shutout the Timber Rattlers (3-1, 34-39) through the first eight innings for the LumberKings (1-3, 34-39) to end a six-game skid.
The LumberKings started the scoring early in the top of the second inning against Wisconsin starter Adam Hill. Peyton Burdick collected the first of his two hits in his Clinton debut to open the inning and initiate the rally. He scored three batters later on a double play ball but the line continued to move when Davis Bradshaw tripled off the wall in left center and scored on a Connor Scott RBI single to center.
Scott led the way for Clinton at the plate with a three-hit performance. He went 3-for-5, collecting an RBI and a double.
Hill (6-5) was hung with the loss for Wisconsin. He allowed two runs on eight hits over 5.1 innings of work. He failed to strikeout a batter while walking three in what was his second loss to the LumberKings this season.
Clinton added another two-run rally in the seventh to put the game away for good. Samuel Castro reached on an error and scored on a fielder's choice to force Wilfred Salaman from the game. With a runner at second, Burdick capped the rally with an RBI double that put Clinton in front 4-0.
Tyler Jones earned the win for Clinton with a strong five inning outing. Jones (2-4) surrendered just two hits while walking two and striking out four to beat Wisconsin for the first time this season.
Tyler Mitzel followed out of the bullpen in a scheduled piggy back start and earned his fourth hold of the year for 3.1 innings of work. He allowed one run on two hits while walking two and striking out four.
Wisconsin's only run of the game came in the bottom of the ninth. David Fry slugged his third home run of the series - 11th of the year - on the first pitch of the inning to avoid the shutout for the Timber Rattlers.
Zach Wolf retied the final two batters of the game to pick up his fourth save of the season.
The LumberKings will take tomorrow off before returning home on to open a four-game series with the Peoria Chiefs on Tuesday night at NelsonCorp Field. Clinton will through righty Tanners Andrws (2-3, 4.47) with first pitch scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and gates opening at 5 p.m. Fans looking to listen to the game can hear Erik Oas on the call on 100.3 FM WCCI or online at lumberkings.com via the tune in radio ap. The pregame show will start at 6:15 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from June 23, 2019
- Kernels Split Series with Wild Win - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Chiefs Blow Late Lead, Fall to Cedar Rapids - Peoria Chiefs
- Qsar, Santiago Homer as Rally Falls Short in 11-10 Loss - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Justin Jones Powers Bees to First Win of Second Half - Burlington Bees
- Justin Jones Puts Bitter End to Cougars' Weekend - Kane County Cougars
- Nuts Outscore Dragons, 9-6 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cubs Win Shootout Versus Hot Rods 11-10 - South Bend Cubs
- Brats, Beer, & Beethoven No. 5 Scheduled for July 5 at Neuroscience Group Field at Fox Cities Stadium - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Big Inning Lifts Lansing to 9-6 Win over Dragons; Teams Split Series - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Walk It off on Back-To-Back Jacks - Lake County Captains
- Skids Snapped with 4-1 LumberKings Win - Clinton LumberKings
- 'Caps End Road Trip with One-Run Loss - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Rattlers Fall 4-1 to the LumberKings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Bullpen Wastes Grand Slam in 7-6 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Today's Game Postponed - Beloit Snappers
- Sunday Funday in Midland - Great Lakes Loons
- Bandits Postponed by Unplayable Field Conditions in Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- TinCaps Game Notes: June 23 at Great Lakes (Game 72) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- U.S. Cellular and Timber Rattlers Are Taking over Youth Baseball Games - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cubs Can't Complete Comeback and Fall to Hot Rods 2-1 - South Bend Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.