Jackals Outdueled in Shootout; Fall 3-2 at Wheeling
WHEELING, WV - November 19, 2014 - The Jackals climbed out to an early 2-0 lead at WesBanco Arena, but faltered in the third period and fell 3-2 in the shootout.
Elmira hit the road for its second Wednesday morning school game in two weeks. Today the Jackals took the ice against their former Atlantic Division rival, the Wheeling Nailers. Taylor Stefishen got Elmira on the board 3:52 into the opening frame with a redirect in the slot on the power-play. Zach Tolkinen and Justin Kea earned the assist's on Stefishen's fourth of the year. Kea extended his point streak to four games (two goals, three assists). Later in the first period the Jackals' special teams would strike again, but this time it would be the penalty kill. Thomas Nesbitt churned his legs to chase down Nick Tuzzolino's clearing feed and found Mike Seidel streaming down the middle for the short-handed marker. Tempters flared between the two rivals towards the end of the first period and was capped by fights between Tuzzolino and Patrick McGrath and Todd Orlando and Chaz Johnson.
The second period proved to be more docile between the Jackals and Nailers. The middle frame saw just three minor penalties combined between the two teams and neither team added to the score-sheet.
Derek Army cut the Jackals' lead in half with a wrap-around goal 6:26 into the third period. Morgan Ellis and David Gilbert added the assists on Army's second goal of the season. Less than two minutes later Clark Seymour's slap-shot from the point snuck past Sam Marotta and tied the game. Riley Brace and Nick D'Agostino assisted Seymour's first goal of the year. Neither team broke the tie in the final 11:53 of the third period or the five minute overtime session.
Gilbert and Zack Torquato scored in the shootout and Wheeling netminder Eric Hartzell stopped all four shots he faced to give the Nailers a 3-2 win.
Marotta stopped 25 of 27 shots faced in 65 minutes and turned aside two of four shootout attempts but was handed the shootout loss. Hartzell turned aside 19 of 21 shots faced and stopped all four shootout attempts to earn the win. The Jackals went 1-for-6 on the power-play and Wheeling went 0-for-3 with the man advantage.
To donate directly to the Jackals Movember fundraiser visit http://us.movember.com/ mospace/index/ search?qelmira+jackals . There will also be donation containers located inside Splitrock Brew Pub and at the concession stands during all Jackals home games this month.
Don't miss a minute of the action with Jackals season tickets! Call (607) 734-7825 or visit jackalshockey.com to order your season tickets today. Can't make it to every game? No problem! The Jackals are offering 10 and 20-game select and flex ticket plans!
Follow the Jackals at www.jackalshockey.com, on Facebook, Twitter (@JackalsHockey) and Instagram for all the latest news and updates.
Group tickets are a great way to entertain employees, co-workers, clients, friends and family. For more information on discounted group tickets and a list of group benefits, call (607) 734-7825 or visit http://www.jackalshockey.com/groups/.
Officially licensed Elmira Jackals replica team jerseys, apparel and headwear can be purchased online at: http://www.jackalshockey.com/
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 19, 2014
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 2-1 on Road - Utah Grizzlies
- Driedger Denies Road Warriors as IceMen Win 3-0 - Evansville IceMen
- Mallards Rally Late, Grab Wild Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Dreidger Stops 34 Shots as IceMen Defeat Warriors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Lead Vanishes in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Mallards - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Stifle Fuel, 4-1 - Indy Fuel
- Eagles Acquire Defenseman Colin Joe in Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Host Field Trip Day Game at 10:30 a.m. Thursday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - November 19 - ECHL
- Thunder Partners with Reddi Industries for Pucks for Bucks Program - Wichita Thunder
- Valk and DiPaolo Get Reassigned to K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Make a Pair of Trades, Acquire Josh Brittain and Brendan - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Warriors Visit Evansville Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Former L.V. Captain Signs with Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Weekly Weather Report: Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Outdueled in Shootout; Fall 3-2 at Wheeling - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Idaho Steelheads - Ontario Reign
- Nailers Star as Comeback Kids on Education Day - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Add Food and Clothing Drive to Historic Army-Navy Hockey Day Events - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Headed to the AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers vs. Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Carruth Reassigned to Indy - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Today - November 19 - ECHL
- Jackals Visit Wheeling for Wednesday Morning School Game - Elmira Jackals
- Comeback Falls Short in 4-3 SO Loss at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.