Royals Add Food and Clothing Drive to Historic Army-Navy Hockey Day Events
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals of the ECHL, affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers of the NHL and Lehigh Valley Phantoms of the AHL, today announced that the organization has added a food and clothing drive to the Schedule of Events for the historic Army-Navy Hockey Day on Saturday, November 22, at Santander Arena in Reading, Pennsylvania.
"Veterans Making a Difference" will conduct the non-perishable food and winter clothing drive this Saturday from 12:00 noon until 7:05 pm. All of the items donated will benefit homeless military veterans in our area. Fans are encouraged to bring their food and clothing items directly to the military vehicle that will be parked in the State Lot (across the railroad tracks from Santander Arena on Penn Street) beginning at noon on Saturday.
As previously announced, Saturday, November 22, is going to be a jam-packed day of activities at Santander Arena. The day features an ACHA hockey game between the U.S. Military Academy and U.S. Naval Academy (1:30 pm) with an Army-Navy Skills Competition directly after. Wrapping up the day is the organization's Veterans Appreciation Night which will feature the first ever ECHL game between the Royals and the Indy Fuel (7:05 pm). Fans can gain admittance to all of the activities on Army-Navy Hockey Day, including the Army-Navy ACHA game, with the purchase of a ticket to the Royals' game that night against the Fuel.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
8 am - 9:30 am: Army-Navy Youth Hockey Skills Clinic
The Army-Navy Youth Hockey Skills Clinic that will feature players from the Army and Navy hockey teams participating with and instructing area youth hockey players, who will range from elementary school through high school, on a wide variety of skill development drills. Please note that everyone participating in the Army-Navy Youth Hockey Clinic will be invited to attend both the Army-Navy ACHA game and the Royals' Veterans Appreciation Night game against the Fuel that day. More information on participating in the youth hockey skills clinic can be obtained by contacting Gregg Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
9:30 am - 9:45 am: Talk from Royals Head Coach Larry Courville and Team Captains
Royals Head Coach Larry Courville and the team's captains will address the participants in the Army-Navy Youth Hockey Skills Clinic.
12:30 pm: Santander Arena Doors Open for Army-Navy ACHA Game
1:30 pm: ACHA Game, U.S. Military Academy v U.S. Naval Academy
4 pm - 5:15 pm: Army-Navy Skills Competition and Battle of the Bands
After the Army-Navy hockey game, the players will undertake a skills competition, featuring a number of classic competitive events involving skating, shooting, and relay races. During this time, the respective pep bands from the two military academies will also entertain fans, while a specially prepared video presentation honoring the military academies plays on the new four-sided center-hung video boards inside Santander Arena. Fans are encouraged to remain inside Santander Arena for the between-the-games activities.
7:05 pm: Reading Royals v Indy Fuel
For the first time in team history, the Royals take on the Indy Fuel with the Royals wearing three separate sets of special jerseys that will be auctioned in three different ways, including a post-game jersey auction, the proceeds from which will serve to benefit veteran and military personnel support causes, as well as Royals Charities (see details below).
There will be no charge at the Reading Parking Authority parking garages around Santander Arena from 7 am through 11 am for those attending the Army-Navy Youth Hockey Skills Clinic. Beginning at 11 am, RPA attendants will begin charging the normal game day parking fee for fans attending the Army-Navy game. Any parking customer who pays the fee for the Army - Navy game will be permitted to leave their vehicle in the RPA garage through the Royals - Indy Fuel game without having to pay an additional fee. However, there is no free re-entry allowed for paid vehicles that leave the parking facilities in between the Army-Navy game and the Royals - Indy Fuel game. In other words, ALL vehicles entering RPA parking garages after 4:30 pm will required to pay the parking fee. Please also note that any vehicle in the RPA parking garages as of 4:30 pm on November 22 that is not displaying a payment stub will receive a payment envelope to facilitate payment of the parking fee. Please note that Season Ticket Holders who have a parking pass will be able to use that pass for the Army-Navy Game; however, if they leave the parking garage, those STHs will have to pay the required parking fee to re-enter the parking garage.
In honor of the historic matchup between the U.S. Military Academy and U.S. Naval Academy, the Royals are going to wear three separate special jerseys in the team's game against the Indy Fuel that night. During the first period, the Royals will wear a special jersey honoring the Academy team that won the Army-Navy game earlier that day. In the second period, the Royals will wear a special jersey honoring the Academy that was defeated earlier in the day. And, in the third period, the Royals will wear a special jersey honoring all of the U.S. Military branches, including the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Marines and the Coast Guard.
All of the jerseys worn by the Royals during the Army-Navy Hockey Day game against Indy will be available for purchase in a variety of methods including: (i) a live game day auction conducted through a special mobile app that fans can download and which will be up and running while the Royals - Fuel game is being played (download info on the special mobile app will be released in the near future); (ii) a silent auction conducted on the Santander Arena concourse during the Royals - Fuel game; and (iii) a post-game auction conducted with the players on-ice after the Royals - Fuel game. A portion of the proceeds from these special jersey auctions will go to benefit local veteran and military personnel support causes, as well as Royals Charities.
REMINDER: VETERAN AND ACTIVE DUTY MILITARY PERSONNEL ACKNOWLEDGEMENT
Please note that during both games on the historic Army-Navy Hockey Day, the End Zone Video Screen at Santander Arena will scroll the names of the military veterans and active duty military personnel in attendance. In order to facilitate the ceremonies, the Royals respectfully request that fans provide their name, branch of service, rank and seat location (Section / Row/ Seat Number) directly to the Royals' vice-president of sales and marketing, Mark Wallace (email@example.com). The information must be received by 3 p.m. on Friday, November 21.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 19, 2014
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 2-1 on Road - Utah Grizzlies
- Driedger Denies Road Warriors as IceMen Win 3-0 - Evansville IceMen
- Mallards Rally Late, Grab Wild Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Dreidger Stops 34 Shots as IceMen Defeat Warriors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Lead Vanishes in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Mallards - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Stifle Fuel, 4-1 - Indy Fuel
- Eagles Acquire Defenseman Colin Joe in Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Host Field Trip Day Game at 10:30 a.m. Thursday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - November 19 - ECHL
- Thunder Partners with Reddi Industries for Pucks for Bucks Program - Wichita Thunder
- Valk and DiPaolo Get Reassigned to K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Make a Pair of Trades, Acquire Josh Brittain and Brendan - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Warriors Visit Evansville Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Former L.V. Captain Signs with Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Weekly Weather Report: Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Outdueled in Shootout; Fall 3-2 at Wheeling - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Idaho Steelheads - Ontario Reign
- Nailers Star as Comeback Kids on Education Day - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Add Food and Clothing Drive to Historic Army-Navy Hockey Day Events - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Headed to the AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers vs. Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Carruth Reassigned to Indy - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Today - November 19 - ECHL
- Jackals Visit Wheeling for Wednesday Morning School Game - Elmira Jackals
- Comeback Falls Short in 4-3 SO Loss at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- F Chris McCarthy Signs PTO with Hershey Bears
- Season-Ending 18 Skinny Stats for 18 Seasons
- Royals End Regular Season on Six-Game Win Streak, 5-3, vs. Adirondack
- Swavely Returned on Loan Prior to Reading' Saturday Home Finale
- Royals Host Adirondack in Finale Saturday: Need Win + Help to Stay Alive in Playoff Hunt