Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Idaho Steelheads
Ontario Reign at Idaho Steelheads
Reign Game - 15 | Reign Away Game - 10 | ECHL Game - 133
Arena: CenturyLink Arena, Boise, Idaho
Date: Wednesday, Nov. 19, 2014
Time: 6:15 p.m. (PST)
Watch & Listen: ECHL.TV, powered by NeuLion
Follow: Facebook - Twitter
The Ontario Reign (7-5-0-2) face the Idaho Steelheads (10-3-1-0) in the first of a three-game series that represents the middle leg of their season-high nine-game road trip. Ontario previously fell to the Steelheads in its home opener on Oct. 25 by a 4-1 score; Rocco Carzo scored the lone goal for the Reign in that match.
SPECIAL TEAMS EDGE:
The Reign have the benefit of superior power-play and penalty kill units compared to the Steelheads, which may give them a competitive advantage heading into this series. Ontario has a power-play that is operating at 18 percent efficiency, while the Steelheads have only been able to manage seven goals on 66 chances this year (10.6 percent). Meanwhile, the Reign have killed 84.6 percent of their penalties, while Idaho has surrendered 12 goals on 61 chances (80.3 percent).
LEANING ON COUTURE:
Derek Couture has been instrumental to the success of the Reign this season, with 15 points through 14 games (8g-7a). Last season, Couture was vital in pacing Ontario to a 4-0-0-1 record against Idaho, recording seven points (3g-4a) in five games.
The Reign will need to prepare to face a Steelheads roster that has done a good job of maintaining puck possession throughout the season, out shooting their opponents in 10 of 14 matches, and winning nine of those 10. When the Steelheads are out shot, their record drops to 1-2-0-0.
BAST BOOMING FOR IDAHO:
A major key to victory against the Steelheads will be containing forward Jason Bast. The rookie has managed a point-per-game pace this season through 14 contests (10g-4a) and is sixth in the league with 49 shots on goal. One of his 10 goals came against the Reign in the Oct. 25 clash between Ontario and Idaho.
10/25 - ONT vs IDH L, 1-4
11/19 - ONT at IDH
11/20 - ONT at IDH
11/22 - ONT at IDH
12/17 - ONT vs IDH
12/26 - ONT at IDH
12/27 - ONT at IDH
01/16 - ONT at IDH
01/17 - ONT at IDH
01/28 - ONT vs IDH
01/30 - ONT vs IDH
01/31 - ONT vs IDH
- Judd Blackwater - 3 goals from 100 career pro goals
- Tyler Spurgeon - 2 assists from 100 career pro assists
- Everett Sheen - 1 assist from 50 career pro assists
Current streak: 0-2-0-0
Last 5 games: 2-2-0-1
Last 10 games: 4-4-0-2
In Nov: 4-2-0-2
Vs. Pacific Div.: 7-5-0-2
Vs. Central Div.: 0-0-0-0
Vs. Western Conf.: 7-5-0-2
Power-play: 9/50 (18.0%)
Penalty kill: 10/65 (84.6%)
11/14 - ADD Bell (activated from reserve)
11/14 - ADD Spurgeon (activated from IR)
11/14 - DEL Hood (placed on reserve)
11/12 - DEL Ramsay (placed on 21-day IR)
11/12 - DEL Zenzola (released from contract)
11/05 - ADD Kopitar (activated from reserve)
11/04 - ADD Bell (activated from reserve)
11/04 - DEL Hood (placed on reserve)
10/28 - ADD Ramsay (activated from reserve)
10/28 - DEL Blackwater (placed on reserve)
10/26 - ADD Brown (activated from reserve)
10/26 - DEL Bell (placed on reserve)
10/24 - ADD Hood (activated from reserve)
Ontario plays the second game of its three-game set against the Steelheads on Thursday, Nov. 20 at 6:15 p.m.
The Reign will return home for a game against the Colorado Eagles on Friday, Dec. 5 at 7 p.m.
Reign Drops :
The Ontario Reign have brought back the popular Holiday Plan, with plans starting as low as $39.
This season's Holiday Plan includes up to five games*, free parking, and the choice of a gift card to New York Grill, a free race at Fast Lap of Ontario or a round of free Tiki Golf at Laser Island (all gifts valued at $25).
Don't miss out on this great gift idea and purchase your Holiday Plan packages today. *Purchase by Saturday, Dec. 6 to receive a fifth game free. Click here to purchase your plans or call 909-941-PUCK (7825) with any questions.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 19, 2014
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 2-1 on Road - Utah Grizzlies
- Driedger Denies Road Warriors as IceMen Win 3-0 - Evansville IceMen
- Mallards Rally Late, Grab Wild Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Dreidger Stops 34 Shots as IceMen Defeat Warriors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Lead Vanishes in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Mallards - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Stifle Fuel, 4-1 - Indy Fuel
- Eagles Acquire Defenseman Colin Joe in Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Host Field Trip Day Game at 10:30 a.m. Thursday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - November 19 - ECHL
- Thunder Partners with Reddi Industries for Pucks for Bucks Program - Wichita Thunder
- Valk and DiPaolo Get Reassigned to K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Make a Pair of Trades, Acquire Josh Brittain and Brendan - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Warriors Visit Evansville Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Former L.V. Captain Signs with Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Weekly Weather Report: Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Outdueled in Shootout; Fall 3-2 at Wheeling - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Idaho Steelheads - Ontario Reign
- Nailers Star as Comeback Kids on Education Day - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Add Food and Clothing Drive to Historic Army-Navy Hockey Day Events - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Headed to the AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers vs. Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Carruth Reassigned to Indy - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Today - November 19 - ECHL
- Jackals Visit Wheeling for Wednesday Morning School Game - Elmira Jackals
- Comeback Falls Short in 4-3 SO Loss at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.