Solar Bears Stifle Fuel, 4-1
INDIANAPOLIS - In the first of two head-to-head meetings between the two teams this season, the Indy Fuel fell to the Orlando Solar Bears on Wednesday by a final score of 4-1 at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. With the loss, the Fuel fell to 3-6-2-1 overall this season and with nine points, remain tied for sixth place in the ECHL's North Division standings.
Orlando defenseman Carl Nielsen delivered the first period's only goal, a left circle wrister at 7:11 that made it 1-0 Solar Bears. In the second, Orlando erupted with three unanswered goals, from Denver Manderson at 3:07, Greg Miller at 9:26 and Jake Parenteau at 11:51, before Matt White put Indy on the board in the frame's final minute with a shorthanded breakaway marker, his fourth of the season, that made it 4-1 Solar Bears heading into what would prove to be a scoreless final frame.
Reassigned to the Fuel by the Chicago Blackhawks of the NHL from the AHL's Rockford IceHogs on Wednesday morning, Indy goaltender Mac Carruth was superb in defeat, stopping 38 of the 42 Orlando shots he faced while his counterpart, Solar Bears backstop Maxime Clermont, earned the victory by virtue of a 21 save performance.
Next up for the Fuel, it's a Saturday road clash with the Reading Royals at Santander Arena in Reading, Pennsylvania with the opening faceoff set for 7:05 pm. Full coverage begins at 6:50 pm on CBS Sports 1430 WXNT-AM with Fuel broadcaster Tony Brown providing the play-by-play.
In 2014-15, the Indy Fuel, the proud "AA" affiliate of the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks and AHL's Rockford IceHogs, drop the puck on their first season in the ECHL. Season ticket packages for the Fuel's inaugural campaign are available now starting at just under $12 per game! To reserve your seats, contact the Fuel today at (317) 925-FUEL or visit www.indyfuelhockey.com for more information. Be sure to follow the Fuel on Twitter @IndyFuel and don't forget to 'Like' the official "Indy Fuel" fan page on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 19, 2014
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 2-1 on Road - Utah Grizzlies
- Driedger Denies Road Warriors as IceMen Win 3-0 - Evansville IceMen
- Mallards Rally Late, Grab Wild Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Dreidger Stops 34 Shots as IceMen Defeat Warriors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Lead Vanishes in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Mallards - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Stifle Fuel, 4-1 - Indy Fuel
- Eagles Acquire Defenseman Colin Joe in Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Host Field Trip Day Game at 10:30 a.m. Thursday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - November 19 - ECHL
- Thunder Partners with Reddi Industries for Pucks for Bucks Program - Wichita Thunder
- Valk and DiPaolo Get Reassigned to K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Make a Pair of Trades, Acquire Josh Brittain and Brendan - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Warriors Visit Evansville Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Former L.V. Captain Signs with Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Weekly Weather Report: Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Outdueled in Shootout; Fall 3-2 at Wheeling - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Idaho Steelheads - Ontario Reign
- Nailers Star as Comeback Kids on Education Day - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Add Food and Clothing Drive to Historic Army-Navy Hockey Day Events - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Headed to the AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers vs. Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Carruth Reassigned to Indy - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Today - November 19 - ECHL
- Jackals Visit Wheeling for Wednesday Morning School Game - Elmira Jackals
- Comeback Falls Short in 4-3 SO Loss at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indy Fuel Stories
- Rupert's Milestone Night Leads Fuel over League-Leading Cyclones
- Shalla's Game-Winner Sparks Fuel to Overtime Victory
- Wheeling Rides Strong Third Period to Win over Fuel
- Indy Fuel Pit Stop: Week 23 (March 11-17, 2019)
- Fuel Stifle Royals in St. Patrick's Day Victory in Reading