Mallards Rally Late, Grab Wild Shootout Win
MOLINE, Ill. (November 19, 2014) - Justin Fox- who also had an assist- capped off a late Quad City Mallard rally by scoring the tying goal with just 1:26 left in regulation and went on to score again in the shootout along with Mario Lamoureux- who also provided a goal in regulation- as the host Quad City Mallards (5-3-3) snatched a wild 4-3 shootout win over the Tulsa Oilers (6-4-2) Wednesday night. With the victory the Mallards extended their regulation unbeaten streak to six games (3-0-3).
Fox and Lamoureux replied for the Mallards after Adam Pleskach gave the Oilers the jump by scoring in the opening round of the shootout. Mallard goaltender Parker Milner- who made 22 saves in regulation and overtime- stonewalled the final four Tulsa shooters to clinch the win.
For the Mallards to even force the game to overtime and- as it proved- the shootout required a remarkable comeback from a 3-1 deficit in the dying moments of the third period. Mallards coach Terry Ruskowski pulled Milner for an extra attacker with just under three minutes remaining and the move paid off almost immediately when Evan Haney cut the gap to 3-2 with a one timer from the right wing circle at 17:37 of the third. Just 57 seconds later Fox followed up a Joe Perry rush to score the dramatic equalizer.
The Mallards' late outburst was actually the second rapid-fire offensive outbreak of the third. Lamoureux evened the score at one from the slot at 3:10 with the first of three goals in a span of 47 seconds. Unfortunately for the Mallards, it was the Oilers who ripped off the next two. Jon Booras's wrist shot form the high slot put Tulsa back on top only 27 seconds after Lamoureux's goal. A mere 20 seconds after that- at the 3:57 mark- Tommy Mele stretched the margin to two by firing the puck in under the crossbar.
The Oilers had first moved in front when Adam Pleskach broke a scoreless tie from the high slot at 8:41 of the second period.
Forward Antti Pusa returned to the lineup for the Mallards Wednesday night after missing five games while on the team's reserve list. Pusa was activated yesterday while forward Logan Nelson was placed on reserve.
The Mallards next play at home Friday night at 7:05 p.m. against the Rapid City Rush. Friday brings the return of $1 Dog/$1 Beer Night presented by 97X and MetroLINK. Fans can enjoy $1 hot dogs and beers from iWireless Center concession stands during all Friday home games. 97X will follow in the spirit of the evening by presenting hot dog-themed intermission entertainment.
Single game tickets for all remaining Mallards regular season home games- including Friday's tilt- are on sale now at the iWireless Center box office, Ticketmaster outlets, ticketmaster.com and Ticketmaster charge-by-phone toll free at 1-800-745-3000 . The box office is open weekdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. and game days from 10:00 a.m. until the start of the second period. Tickets are available for $10, $16, $20 and $28.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 19, 2014
- Grizzlies Beat Colorado 2-1 on Road - Utah Grizzlies
- Driedger Denies Road Warriors as IceMen Win 3-0 - Evansville IceMen
- Mallards Rally Late, Grab Wild Shootout Win - Quad City Mallards
- Dreidger Stops 34 Shots as IceMen Defeat Warriors - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Late Lead Vanishes in 4-3 Shootout Loss to Mallards - Tulsa Oilers
- Solar Bears Stifle Fuel, 4-1 - Indy Fuel
- Eagles Acquire Defenseman Colin Joe in Trade - Colorado Eagles
- Condors Host Field Trip Day Game at 10:30 a.m. Thursday - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Transactions - November 19 - ECHL
- Thunder Partners with Reddi Industries for Pucks for Bucks Program - Wichita Thunder
- Valk and DiPaolo Get Reassigned to K-Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Mavericks Make a Pair of Trades, Acquire Josh Brittain and Brendan - Kansas City Mavericks
- Preview: Warriors Visit Evansville Tonight - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Former L.V. Captain Signs with Glads - Atlanta Gladiators
- Weekly Weather Report: Weekly News and Notes of the Stockton Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Jackals Outdueled in Shootout; Fall 3-2 at Wheeling - Elmira Jackals
- Game Preview - Ontario Reign at Idaho Steelheads - Ontario Reign
- Nailers Star as Comeback Kids on Education Day - Wheeling Nailers
- Royals Add Food and Clothing Drive to Historic Army-Navy Hockey Day Events - Reading Royals
- Defenseman Headed to the AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers vs. Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- Carruth Reassigned to Indy - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Today - November 19 - ECHL
- Jackals Visit Wheeling for Wednesday Morning School Game - Elmira Jackals
- Comeback Falls Short in 4-3 SO Loss at Tulsa - Wichita Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Quad City Mallards Stories
- Mallards Clearance Sale this Week
- Motte, Osipov Head to AHL
- Mallards Rally to Win Finale
- Mallards Game Day
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings