Isotopes Pitchers Throw Two-Hitter in Loss to Rainiers
Pitchers Jeff Hoffman and Chris Jensen combined for a two-hitter Thursday night, but the Isotopes (6-9) were held scoreless at the plate as the Tacoma Rainiers (8-6) defeated Albuquerque, 1-0, at Cheney Stadium. The Isotopes have now lost three straight games as they look to avoid their first sweep of the season on Friday.
Hoffman made his second rehab appearance with the Isotopes, recording his best start of the season. The 25-year-old retired 14 of the 17 batters he faced, including the final 11 of his outing. The only run of the contest came off Hoffman in the second inning when Kirk Nieuwenhuis homered to right field.
Jensen relieved Hoffman with two outs in the fifth and proceeded to throw 3.1 scoreless innings. The right-hander retired 10 of the 12 he faced, hitting one batter and walking another. The two-hitter for the Isotopes pitching staff was their first since they accomplished the feat on May 5, 2017 at El Paso.
Albuquerque's offense outhit Tacoma, 6-2, with Jordan Patterson and Josh Fuentes both collecting two hits. Fuentes extended his hitting streak to 12 games, establishing a career high for the 25-year-old third baseman. Daniel Castro tied his career best hitting streak at 13 games with a single in the fifth inning.
The Isotopes and Rainiers will conclude their series in Tacoma on Friday night. Albuquerque will send southpaw David Holmberg (0-1, 10.13) to the bump. The game is scheduled to get underway at 8:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2018
- Sky Sox Win 3-2, Take Series over Baby Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Oklahoma City Claims Series with 6-3 Victory in Finale - Round Rock Express
- Alzolay Deals in Triple-A Debut - Iowa Cubs
- Snakebit Baby Cakes Drop Series Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Continue Hot Start with 6-3 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds' Bats Go Cold in Loss to Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snaps Sounds Streak, Takes Series Finale 7-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Grizz & GAR Team up to Help FFA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (12-3) at Omaha Storm Chasers (3-11) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 20, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Announce First of Five All-Decade Teams - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Las Vegas Magic - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Blank Isotopes, 1-0, Win Fourth Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Skid to Seven Straight - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Edge Reno 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Eight Run Outburst Leads Bees by River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Pitchers Throw Two-Hitter in Loss to Rainiers - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Disastrous inning dooms River Cats against Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Burnes Strikes out Nine, Sky Sox Shutout 'Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Albuquerque Isotopes Stories
- Dukes Retro Night, Pinatas Added to 2019 Promotional Schedule
- Berm Seating for This Monday's Rockies Exhibition Game on Sale Tomorrow
- Mariachis Introduce New Look, Promotions for Upcoming Season
- Dion's and Isotopes Launch 16th Season of Club Read
- Individual Game Tickets on Sale Now