Redbirds' Bats Go Cold in Loss to Omaha
OMAHA, Nebraska - The Memphis Redbirds couldn't get the bats going despite a strong start from Daniel Poncedeleon, as they dropped the series finale to the Omaha Storm Chasers 5-0, Friday night in Omaha, Neb.
Memphis (12-4) managed a season-low three hits against the Storm Chasers (4-11). Poncedeleon twirled six strong innings, but the offense couldn't pick him up.
Omaha (Kansas City) took a 1-0 lead in the second after they notched two-consecutive hits to start the inning. After a sacrifice bunt, Parker Morin smacked a single to right to give Omaha the go-ahead and game-winning run.
Omaha snagged another run in the fifth after a throwing error on Memphis. Poncedeleon's night finished after the sixth inning. He ended up allowing seven hits, two runs, one earned run, and one walk, while striking out four batters, dropping his ERA to 1.06 on the year.
Arturo Reyes came into the game in relief in the seventh inning and allowed another run before being tagged for two more in the eighth to open the game up. Carson Kelly, Patrick Wisdom, and Wilfredo Tovar were the only Redbirds to notch a hit on the night. For just the second game this year, the 'Birds failed to record an extra-base hit.
Memphis will head to Iowa to finish the seven-game road trip, before they returns to AutoZone Park for nine games from April 25-May 3. For more information on single-game tickets and ticket mini-memberships, visit www.memphisredbirds.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2018
- Sky Sox Win 3-2, Take Series over Baby Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Oklahoma City Claims Series with 6-3 Victory in Finale - Round Rock Express
- Alzolay Deals in Triple-A Debut - Iowa Cubs
- Snakebit Baby Cakes Drop Series Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Continue Hot Start with 6-3 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds' Bats Go Cold in Loss to Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snaps Sounds Streak, Takes Series Finale 7-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Grizz & GAR Team up to Help FFA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (12-3) at Omaha Storm Chasers (3-11) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 20, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Announce First of Five All-Decade Teams - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Las Vegas Magic - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Blank Isotopes, 1-0, Win Fourth Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Skid to Seven Straight - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Edge Reno 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Eight Run Outburst Leads Bees by River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Pitchers Throw Two-Hitter in Loss to Rainiers - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Disastrous inning dooms River Cats against Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Burnes Strikes out Nine, Sky Sox Shutout 'Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Redbirds Stories
- Redbirds to Host Yard Sale Saturday
- AutoZone Park to Host Free Movie Night Presented by Terminix
- MLB Names Peter B. Freund to Guide Transition of Licensed Affiliates
- Memphis Redbirds Statement on Season Cancellation
- Minor League Baseball Delays Start of 2020 Season