Oklahoma City Claims Series with 6-3 Victory in Finale
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Oklahoma City Dodgers (12-2) polished off a series victory over the Round Rock Express (4-12) with a 6-3 win in Friday night's series finale. E-Train RF Destin Hood blasted a three-run homer in the sixth inning to provide Round Rock's only offense on the night.
Express LHP David Hurlbut (0-2, 6.43) suffered the loss after giving up a pair of runs on three hits in four innings out of the bullpen. Hurlbut struck out four without walking a batter. Newly-acquired Round Rock RHP Yovani Gallardo started the game, allowing three runs on three hits in 2.1 frames. On the winning side, Oklahoma City RHP C.C. Lee (2-0, 2.70) held Round Rock to just one run on a hit in 1.1 innings.
The Dodgers wasted little time jumping on the scoreboard. CF Tim Locastro led off the game with a single before moving to third on an ensuing Donovan Solano single. Two hitters later, 1B Rob Segedin poked a sacrifice fly into right field, leaving just enough time for Locastro to score from third.
Two innings later, Locastro collected a one-out walk prior to a Solano double. LF Alex Verdugo then gave his team a 3-0 lead with a two-run single.
Round Rock briefly leveled the game at 3-3 in the sixth. LF Willie Calhoun and 1B Tommy Joseph teamed up for back-to-back one out walks off OKC RHP Daniel Corcino, the latest of which chased the righty from the game. Hood then connected on Lee's second pitch of the night, lining a three-run homer to deep left field.
However, the Dodgers jumped back in front in the very next inning. OKC 2B Jake Peter was hit with a pitch to open the inning, then SS Breyvic Valera singled to put runners on the corners. With RHP Connor Sadzeck on in relief, C Rocky Gale popped a sacrifice fly into center field, scoring Peter to put Oklahoma City back up one. The visitors added an insurance run as Sadzeck skipped a wild pitch past C Tony Sanchez, allowing Valera to sprint home.
In the ninth, Segedin, Peter and Valera each singled to pad the OKC lead to 6-3. Round Rock couldn't find any late magic as the Dodgers claimed the game 6-3 and the series 3-1.
Round Rock now turns their attention to the Colorado Springs Sky Sox. Express RHP David Ledbetter (0-2, 6.43) is set to take the mound against Sky Sox RHP Brandon Woodruff (2-0, 1.59). First pitch in Saturday night's series opener is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2018
- Sky Sox Win 3-2, Take Series over Baby Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Oklahoma City Claims Series with 6-3 Victory in Finale - Round Rock Express
- Alzolay Deals in Triple-A Debut - Iowa Cubs
- Snakebit Baby Cakes Drop Series Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Continue Hot Start with 6-3 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds' Bats Go Cold in Loss to Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snaps Sounds Streak, Takes Series Finale 7-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Grizz & GAR Team up to Help FFA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (12-3) at Omaha Storm Chasers (3-11) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 20, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Announce First of Five All-Decade Teams - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Las Vegas Magic - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Blank Isotopes, 1-0, Win Fourth Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Skid to Seven Straight - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Edge Reno 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Eight Run Outburst Leads Bees by River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Pitchers Throw Two-Hitter in Loss to Rainiers - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Disastrous inning dooms River Cats against Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Burnes Strikes out Nine, Sky Sox Shutout 'Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Round Rock Express Stories
- Round Rock Express Name OF Kyle Tucker Most Valuable Player
- Round Rock Express 2019 Full-Season Game Notes
- Round Rock Express Partners with StellarAlgo
- Round Rock Express INF Abraham Toro, RHP Cristian Javier Named Houston Astros Minor League Players of the Year
- River Cats Top Express 7-5 in Season-Ending Heartbreaker