Rainiers Blank Isotopes, 1-0, Win Fourth Straight
TACOMA, Wash. - The Tacoma Rainiers (8-6) collected their fourth straight win with a 1-0 shutout of the Albuquerque Isotopes (6-9) on Thursday night at Cheney Stadium.
Starting pitcher Max Povse (1-2) gave the Rainiers 5.1 innings of scoreless work on 92 pitches (57 strikes). He allowed six hits and struck out three by the time he was lifted in the sixth inning.
Right fielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis provided all the offense the Rainiers would need with a solo home run in the bottom of the second inning. His third dinger of the year, a deep shot to right field, gave Tacoma a 1-0 lead they would not relinquish.
The 1-0 blanking was the Rainiers third shutout of the season, and 16th in the last two years.
Relievers Mike Morin (0.2 IP), Ryan Garton (1.2 IP), and Erik Goeddel (1.1 IP) closed out the contest and preserved the shutout. Goeddel entered in the eighth inning picked up his second save of the year after while fanning three Isotopes batters.
Tacoma goes for a sweep of Albuquerque on Friday night with a first pitch scheduled for 7:05 p.m. PT. The Rainiers will hand the ball to right-hander Christian Bergman (2-0, 0.51), while the Isotopes will start southpaw David Holmberg (0-1, 10.13).
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2018 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand) or liking the team on Facebook.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2018
- Sky Sox Win 3-2, Take Series over Baby Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Oklahoma City Claims Series with 6-3 Victory in Finale - Round Rock Express
- Alzolay Deals in Triple-A Debut - Iowa Cubs
- Snakebit Baby Cakes Drop Series Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Continue Hot Start with 6-3 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds' Bats Go Cold in Loss to Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snaps Sounds Streak, Takes Series Finale 7-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Grizz & GAR Team up to Help FFA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (12-3) at Omaha Storm Chasers (3-11) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 20, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Announce First of Five All-Decade Teams - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Las Vegas Magic - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Blank Isotopes, 1-0, Win Fourth Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Skid to Seven Straight - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Edge Reno 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Eight Run Outburst Leads Bees by River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Pitchers Throw Two-Hitter in Loss to Rainiers - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Disastrous inning dooms River Cats against Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Burnes Strikes out Nine, Sky Sox Shutout 'Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Crawford Extends Streak, Curletta Goes Yard But Rainiers Drop Third-Straight
- Lopes Collects Four Hits But Rainiers Fall in Second-Straight
- Rainiers Blanked for First Time in Albuquerque Series Opener
- Young, Jr. Throttles Game-Winner, Miller Cuts Down Tying Run to Secure Rainiers Victory in El Paso
- Nola Erupts, Sheffield Deals But Rainiers Fall in Walk-Off Fashion