Las Vegas Magic
The Fresno Grizzlies (11-4) rallied to beat the Las Vegas 51s (5-10) 10-8 Thursday night from Cashman Field. Down 7-0 heading to the seventh, Fresno stormed back with nine runs in the final two innings. This was the third comeback of the season for the Grizzlies when trailing after six. Garrett Stubbs (4-for-5) became the first Grizzly this season with four hits and he picked off two baserunners, giving him seven caught in 10 attempts. Tony Kemp (3-for-5), J.D. Davis (3-for-5) and Jon Kemmer (2-for-4) joined Stubbs with multi-hit games in the win.
Las Vegas grabbed a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the second with two extra base hits. First, Bryce Brentz smacked a solo shot to right-center. It was his second bomb in as many days. Then, Gavin Cecchini clobbered a double to left, plating David Thompson. The advantage expanded to 5-0 in the bottom of the third when Brentz doubled deep to left, scoring one. Then, former Grizzly Johnny Monell spanked a single to left, knocking in two more. Zach Borenstein vaulted the 51s lead to 7-0 in the bottom of the fourth when he blasted a two-run home run to left. It was his fourth homer of the season.
Fresno started their comeback in the top of the seventh when Kemp laced a single to left, allowing Davis to jog home. The Grizzlies added four more runs in the top of the eighth, bringing 10 batters to the plate. Davis scored Kyle Tucker with a RBI double to left. Then, Kemmer laced a triple to deep center and he was knocked in with a Stubbs single to right. Finally, Drew Ferguson trimmed the deficit to 7-5 when he reached on an infield hit. With the single, Ferguson extended his team-high hit streak to 12 games.
On to the ninth now, where Jacob Rhame looked to close things out. A.J. Reed had other ideas, tying the game with a monster two-run bomb to right. It was his first blast of the season. The Grizzlies took an 8-7 lead when Kemp roped a double to left, scoring Davis. Then, a passed ball allowed by Monell brought home two more runs, making it 10-7. In the bottom half of the inning, despite allowing a run, Fresno closer Brendan McCurry locked down his third save of the season.
Matt Ramsey (1-1) earned the win after striking out two in a perfect eighth while Rhame (0-1) suffered the loss.
The two teams are back at it Friday night for the finale of the four-game series. The Grizzlies look to win their fourth straight series behind LHP Kent Emanuel (1-0, 0.82). He battles Las Vegas LHP P.J. Conlon (0-0, 6.75). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PT from Cashman Field.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2018
- Sky Sox Win 3-2, Take Series over Baby Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Oklahoma City Claims Series with 6-3 Victory in Finale - Round Rock Express
- Alzolay Deals in Triple-A Debut - Iowa Cubs
- Snakebit Baby Cakes Drop Series Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Continue Hot Start with 6-3 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds' Bats Go Cold in Loss to Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snaps Sounds Streak, Takes Series Finale 7-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Grizz & GAR Team up to Help FFA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (12-3) at Omaha Storm Chasers (3-11) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 20, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Announce First of Five All-Decade Teams - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Las Vegas Magic - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Blank Isotopes, 1-0, Win Fourth Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Skid to Seven Straight - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Edge Reno 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Eight Run Outburst Leads Bees by River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Pitchers Throw Two-Hitter in Loss to Rainiers - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Disastrous inning dooms River Cats against Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Burnes Strikes out Nine, Sky Sox Shutout 'Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno Grizzlies Stories
- Fresno Grizzlies Season Update
- Fresno Grizzlies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
- Fowler Packing (Peelz), Save Mart, ABC 30, Chukchansi Gold Resort & Casino, and Grizzlies Join Forces to Surprise Senior Shoppers with Free Groceries
- Grizzlies Unveil 2020 Daily Specials
- Chukchansi Park Job Fair Set for Saturday, March 7th