Dodgers Continue Hot Start with 6-3 Win
Round Rock, Texas - The Oklahoma City Dodgers closed out their road series against the Round Rock Express with a 6-3 win Friday night at Dell Diamond to add to their best-ever start to a season.
The Dodgers won three of four games in Round Rock, including the final two, and have now won 11 of their last 12 games to improve to 12-2 on the season. Oklahoma City's 12 wins through the first 14 games mark the best start to a season since the team rejoined the PCL in 1998.
Oklahoma City never trailed in Friday's game, while holding the Express to just three hits on the night - a season low for a Dodgers opponent.
The Dodgers took the lead quickly in the first inning. Tim Locastro and Donovan Solano led off the game with back-to-back singles and Locastro later crossed the plate on a sacrifice fly by Rob Segedin for a 1-0 Dodgers lead.
The Dodgers added to their lead in the third inning. Locastro drew a one-out walk and Solano followed with a double. After an Express pitching change, both players came around to score on a single by Alex Verdugo that deflected off Round Rock first baseman Tommy Joseph's glove and into shallow right field for a 3-0 Oklahoma City lead.
Locastro has now scored at least one run in six straight games. He entered the game leading the PCL in runs scored and boosted his total to 18 runs scored this season with two more Friday.
Verdugo has now collected at least one RBI in a career-best seven straight games and has 12 total RBI during the stretch.
Round Rock (4-12) tied the game in the sixth inning with all three of its runs coming on one swing as a three-run home run by Destin Hood evened the score at 3-3.
Jake Peter led off the seventh inning for Oklahoma City and was hit by a pitch. Breyvic Valera followed with a single. Later with one out, Peter scored when Rocky Gale hit a sacrifice fly. Then with Locastro batting, Round Rock pitcher Connor Sadzeck threw a wild pitch that allowed Valera to score from third base for a 5-3 Dodgers advantage.
Valera's RBI single in the eighth inning extended the Dodgers' lead to 6-3.
Locastro, Solano, Peter and Valera each collected two hits apiece for the Dodgers who totaled 10 hits on the night.
Pitcher Tyler Pill started for the Dodgers in his team and organizational debut after being acquired by the Dodgers in a trade with the Arizona Diamondbacks for cash considerations April 17. Pill pitched 3.0 scoreless innings, allowing one hit and two walks with two strikeouts.
After the Express tied the game, the Dodgers bullpen retired 10 of the final 12 Express batters, as relievers Edward Paredes, Daniel Hudson and Brian Schlitter combined to keep the Express scoreless and hitless over the final 2.1 innings with four strikeouts. C.C. Lee (2-0) was credited with the win for Oklahoma City. Round Rock pitcher David Hurlbut (0-2) was charged with the loss.
The Dodgers continue their road trip and open a three-game series against the New Orleans Baby Cakes at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Shrine on Airline.
Live coverage begins 15 minutes before first pitch on AM 1340 "The Game," 1340thegame.com, or through the free iHeartRadio mobile app.
Video highlights of today's games are available at the PCL FTP site, pacificcoastleague.exavault.com, in the Round Rock folder. The proper files will reflect today's date, and are accompanied by a text file containing a brief description of the content available.
WP: Hurlbut; Sadzeck.
Balk: Lee, CC.
HBP: Peter (by Hurlbut); Calhoun, W (by Hudson).
Pitches-strikes: Pill 43-25; Corcino 41-24; Lee, CC 22-15; Paredes, Edw 4-3; Hudson 16-10; Schlitter 12-9; Gallardo 37-24; Hurlbut 47-33; Sadzeck 30-18; Alvarez, R 13-10.
Groundouts-flyouts: Pill 4-2; Corcino 3-2; Lee, CC 0-2; Paredes, Edw 0-0; Hudson 0-0; Schlitter 1-1; Gallardo 3-1; Hurlbut 2-4; Sadzeck 1-1; Alvarez, R 0-0.
Batters faced: Pill 11; Corcino 11; Lee, CC 6; Paredes, Edw 1; Hudson 3; Schlitter 3; Gallardo 11; Hurlbut 15; Sadzeck 9; Alvarez, R 3.
Inherited runners-scored: Lee, CC 2-2; Paredes, Edw 1-0; Hurlbut 2-2; Sadzeck 2-2.
Umpires: HP: Derek Eaton. 1B: Clayton Hamm. 3B: Javerro January.
Weather: 63 degrees, partly cloudy.
Wind: 9 mph, Out to LF.
First pitch: 7:07 PM.
Venue: Dell Diamond.
April 20, 2018
Compiled by MLB Advanced Media
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2018
- Sky Sox Win 3-2, Take Series over Baby Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Oklahoma City Claims Series with 6-3 Victory in Finale - Round Rock Express
- Alzolay Deals in Triple-A Debut - Iowa Cubs
- Snakebit Baby Cakes Drop Series Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Continue Hot Start with 6-3 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds' Bats Go Cold in Loss to Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snaps Sounds Streak, Takes Series Finale 7-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Grizz & GAR Team up to Help FFA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (12-3) at Omaha Storm Chasers (3-11) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 20, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Announce First of Five All-Decade Teams - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Las Vegas Magic - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Blank Isotopes, 1-0, Win Fourth Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Skid to Seven Straight - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Edge Reno 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Eight Run Outburst Leads Bees by River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Pitchers Throw Two-Hitter in Loss to Rainiers - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Disastrous inning dooms River Cats against Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Burnes Strikes out Nine, Sky Sox Shutout 'Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Oklahoma City Dodgers Stories
- Lifeshare Winterfest and Snow Tubing Canceled
- Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark Named Winner Of Ballpark Digest's Best Of The Ballparks Competition
- OKC Dodgers Announce Details Regarding the Cancellation of the 2020 Baseball Sesaon
- Registration Open for OKC Dodgers Rookie League Fall Season
- Statement from the Oklahoma City Dodgers