Alzolay Deals in Triple-A Debut
DES MOINES, IA - Righty Adbert Alzolay steered the Iowa Cubs (4-9) to a 7-1 victory over the Nashville Sounds (8-7), Friday at Principal Park. In his Triple-A debut, Alzolay gave Iowa 6.0 frames, allowing one run on two hits and two walks while fanning six.
Iowa jumped on former I-Cub Eric Jokisch as Mike Freeman led off the game with a single. David Bote reached on a fielder's choice and came in to score from first on the next play as Efren Navarro roped a double into the gap in right-center.
The I-Cubs flew to a 4-0 lead in the fourth with a three-run inning, helped by a two-RBI double from Wynton Bernard and an RBI single from Bote. A run in each of the fifth, seventh and eighth innings padded the lead.
Meanwhile, Alzolay was dealing. The 23-year-old did not allow a base runner through four, and didn't give up a hit until the sixth. BJ Boyd foiled both the no-hitter and the shutout with a towering home run to left with one out.
The bullpen was just as dominant as Randy Rosario sat down all six batters he faced, two on strikes. Dillon Maples closed the door with two strikeouts in the ninth.
Batting ninth, Bernard highlighted Iowa's offense with two doubles and two RBI. Mark Zagunis also collected a pair of base hits.
Iowa welcomes the Memphis Redbirds to town tomorrow for a three-game series. The first 1,000 fans in attendance for the 7:08 contest Saturday will receive a Marty Pevey Jersey shirt as we celebrate Marty Pevey Day. For more information or tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 20, 2018
- Sky Sox Win 3-2, Take Series over Baby Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Oklahoma City Claims Series with 6-3 Victory in Finale - Round Rock Express
- Alzolay Deals in Triple-A Debut - Iowa Cubs
- Snakebit Baby Cakes Drop Series Finale - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Dodgers Continue Hot Start with 6-3 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redbirds' Bats Go Cold in Loss to Omaha - Memphis Redbirds
- Iowa Snaps Sounds Streak, Takes Series Finale 7-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Grizz & GAR Team up to Help FFA - Fresno Grizzlies
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (12-3) at Omaha Storm Chasers (3-11) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - April 20, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Reno Aces Game Notes - Reno Aces
- Storm Chasers Announce First of Five All-Decade Teams - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Las Vegas Magic - Fresno Grizzlies
- Rainiers Blank Isotopes, 1-0, Win Fourth Straight - Tacoma Rainiers
- Aces Skid to Seven Straight - Reno Aces
- Chihuahuas Edge Reno 6-5 - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Eight Run Outburst Leads Bees by River Cats - Salt Lake Bees
- Isotopes Pitchers Throw Two-Hitter in Loss to Rainiers - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Disastrous inning dooms River Cats against Bees - Sacramento River Cats
- Burnes Strikes out Nine, Sky Sox Shutout 'Cakes - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.