Impact Visits LA Galaxy Saturday Night in California
CARSON, California - The Montreal Impact returns to MLS and travels to the West Coast of the United States to take on the LA Galaxy at Dignity Health Sports Park, this Saturday at 10:30pm EDT (TVA Sports, 98.5, TSN 690).
"We can use the complete game we played on Wednesday to approach this game against the Galaxy," said Impact assistant coach Wilfried Nancy. "The players feel better and they're a little more confident. They're a good team, like Toronto. We'll see what we can do against them and how we can make things difficult for them. The objective, of course, is to win."
Lots at stake for the Impact
After beating Toronto FC 1-0 in the first leg of the Canadian Championship final, Montreal continues its fight for a spot in the MLS Cup playoffs, although the team has lost its last two league games. Still, Wilmer Cabrera's men remain three points behind the New England Revolution, currently seventh in the Eastern Conference standings, the last spot assuring qualification to the fall tournament.
The Impact visits Carson just once every two years, which explains why the club has only faced the Galaxy three times at Dignity Health Sports Park. It was never a welcoming venue for Montreal, who's only brought back one point from the Los Angeles suburb. Designated Player Nacho Piatti, however, has been successful against Guillermo Barros Schelotto's men, with two goals and two assists in four games against the Angelenos.
"We have the opportunity to go to Los Angeles and improve our chances of qualifying for the playoffs," said midfielder Nacho Piatti. "We're ready for the challenge. It'll be a difficult game. Wilmer spoke to us of a similar situation last year with Houston. The Galaxy was winning 2-0 and Houston won 3-2 in the end, keeping Los Angeles out of the playoffs. For us, it's motivating."
Galaxy lacking consistency
Saturday's hosts are coming off a 7-2 win against Sporting Kansas City at home, but this was just a second win in 10 games for Zlatan Ibrahimovic and his teammates. The Swede, on his end, just beat the LA Galaxy's record for the most goals in a season, and he's chasing the MLS Golden Boot with 26 goals this season.
"We know what we have to do to try and finish this season on a positive note," said Impact defender Bacary Sagna. "We know we have to win in Los Angeles, quite simply, because the teams around us won't wait to see our result before trying to do the same. We need to be solid in Los Angeles and become more solid as the game wears on. We'll tighten up and attack with certainty."
The Impact will head to Toronto to try and protect its 1-0 lead in the Canadian Championship final on Wednesday, September 25, at 7:30pm, at BMO Field (985sports.ca). Montreal will then host Atlanta United at Stade Saputo on Sunday, September 29, at 5pm, for the penultimate game of the 2019 MLS regular season (TICKETS - TVA Sports, TSN, 98.5, TSN 690).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 20, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Academy Forward Daniel Rios Called into U.S. Soccer Youth National Team Camp - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC Forward Adama Diomande Voluntarily Enters MLS SABH Program for Assessment - MLS
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Issued - MLS
- #FCDvNYC: Hall of Fame Game Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- LAFC Takes on Toronto FC on Saturday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Spots Still Open for Sunday's Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation Rave Green Run, Presented by CHI Franciscan - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Real Salt Lake - New England Revolution
- Impact Visits LA Galaxy Saturday Night in California - Club de Foot Montreal
- Match Preview: New York Returns East for Two-Match Homestand - New York Red Bulls
- Limited Tickets Remain for Home Finale vs. Seattle on September 29 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Tigres U.A.N.L. and Club Santos Laguna to Face off in LIGA MX Friendly at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Preview: Real Salt Lake Visits New England Revolution - Real Salt Lake
- U.S. Soccer Selects Exploria Stadium To Host USMNT vs. Canada - Orlando City SC
- Sporting to Host Colorado on Kick Childhood Cancer Night - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- CF Montreal Selects Giuseppe Barone at the MLS SuperDraft
- 91.9 Sports Becomes the New French Radio Broadcaster for CF Montreal
- CF Montreal Acquires Defender Aljaz "Kiki" Struna
- Montreal Impact Becomes Club de Foot Montreal
- Impact Acquires Forward Sunusi Ibrahim