Preview: Real Salt Lake Visits New England Revolution
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake will travel to the New England Revolution on Saturday, September 21 with kickoff set for 5:30p MT. Saturday's match can be seen live on KMYU and the KSL TV app and on the radio on ESPN700.
RSL enters the match against the Revolution holding the fourth position in the West standings after it dropped a 3-1 result at Minnesota United last Sunday. Against the Loons, MF Albert Rusnák notched his team-leading 10th goal of the 2019 season with his first-half strike. The loss saw RSL move to 14-12-4 (46 points) on the year with four matches remaining, two at home and two on the road, including the bout in Foxborough.
Saturday's meeting will be the 22nd all-time between the two sides with RSL holding the all-time advantage over New England with a 10-6-5 record and a +8-goal differential. At Gillette Stadium, RSL has earned an even 4-4-2 record.
Since returning from the Gold Cup break on June 22, RSL has the best defense in MLS. In those 15 matches, RSL is 8-4-3 with seven shutouts and a league-best 0.73 goals against average. New England enters Saturday's match having played to a dramatic 3-3 draw at Orlando City SC last Saturday. The Revolution currently sit seventh in the Eastern Conference table.
How to Follow Real Salt Lake @ New England Revolution - Saturday, September 21, 2019
- Coverage Begins: 5:00 p.m. MT
- Local TV: KMYU w/ David James (play-by-play), Brian Dunseth (color) & Samantha Yarock (sideline)
- Digital Streaming: KSL TV app
- English Radio: ESPN700 with Bill Riley (play-by-play) & Jay Nolly (color)
- Spanish Radio: N/A
RSL enters the match seeing 11 different players notch goals for the club. The team is led in scoring by MF Albert Rusnák with 10 goals, followed closely by Designated Player FW Sam Johnson with nine goals while Rusnák has added an additional five assists.
2018 RSL Golden Boot winner MF Damir Kreilach has remained a steady presence in the midfield for RSL in 2019, providing five goals and five assists in 26 starts this season. Playmaker FW Jefferson Savarino has seven goals and five assists to his name, enough to earn a call-up to the Venezuelan Men's National Team for the 2019 Copa America in Brazil this summer.
On the backline, DF Nedum Onuoha has been a mainstay at centerback in his first full season with the club, featuring in 24 of the club's 30 matches thus far. The former Manchester City and Queens Park Rangers defender has seen been paired alongside Homegrown DFs Justen Glad, Erik Holt and Marcelo Silva and on occasion, MF Nick Besler. On both sides of the backline, Homegrown DFs Aaron Herrera, Brooks Lennon and Donny Toia have battled for starting positions at right and left back. Herrera leads the team in matches played and minutes in 2019 having featured in 28 of RSL's 30 matches and leads the team in minutes played with 2,408.
In goal, legendary GK Nick Rimando has featured in 26 matches in 2019, earning nine shutouts. Prior to the commencement of the season, Rimando announced that 2019 - his 20th season in MLS would be his last and was recently selected by MLS Commissioner Don Garber for the 2019 MLS All-Star game in Orlando, Florida on July 31. On July 6, Rimando became the first player in MLS to start and play in 500 regular season matches as he continues to set the bench mark for players across the league. GK Andrew Putna has also seen action in goal this season, starting four of RSL's 18 matches while earning one shutout on the year in RSL's dominant 3-0 victory over 2019 expansion side FC Cincinnati on April 19.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 20, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Academy Forward Daniel Rios Called into U.S. Soccer Youth National Team Camp - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC Forward Adama Diomande Voluntarily Enters MLS SABH Program for Assessment - MLS
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Issued - MLS
- #FCDvNYC: Hall of Fame Game Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- LAFC Takes on Toronto FC on Saturday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Spots Still Open for Sunday's Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation Rave Green Run, Presented by CHI Franciscan - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Real Salt Lake - New England Revolution
- Impact Visits LA Galaxy Saturday Night in California - Club de Foot Montreal
- Match Preview: New York Returns East for Two-Match Homestand - New York Red Bulls
- Limited Tickets Remain for Home Finale vs. Seattle on September 29 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Tigres U.A.N.L. and Club Santos Laguna to Face off in LIGA MX Friendly at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Preview: Real Salt Lake Visits New England Revolution - Real Salt Lake
- U.S. Soccer Selects Exploria Stadium To Host USMNT vs. Canada - Orlando City SC
- Sporting to Host Colorado on Kick Childhood Cancer Night - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Forward Douglas Martinez Named to Honduras CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Roster
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule
- RSL Trio Called to U-23 USMNT Training Camp
- Real Salt Lake Mutually Agrees to Part Ways with Assistant Coach Tyrone Marshall
- Five RSL Organization Members Selected to CONCACAF Olympic Qualifying Rosters