Match Preview: New York Returns East for Two-Match Homestand
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls (12-13-5, 41 pts) kick off their two-match homestand with the Philadelphia Union (15-8-7, 52 pts) on Sunday at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. EST with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls Radio begins at 5:30 p.m. EST with Countdown to Kickoff, presented by Honda, hosted by Matt Harmon. Ernesto Motta will carry the Spanish play-by-play responsibilities, beginning at 6 p.m. EST.
New York and Philadelphia conclude their 2019 home-and-home series on Sunday and will meet for the 26th time in the all-time series. The Union bested the Red Bulls earlier this season as Ilsinho came off the bench and led Philly to a second-half 3-2 comeback on June 8. New York has held serve at Red Bull Arena against Philadelphia, owning a 7-1-3 mark overall and an undefeated mark of 2-0-2 in the last four.
The New York Red Bulls scored their fastest goal of the season (3rd minute) on Wednesday at Portland en route to snapping their three-match losing streak. When New York scores first this season they are 11-4-2, while going 2-9-3 when allowing the first goal. Since the Red Bulls implemented their high-press system in 2015, New York is 68-12-16 when scoring the first goal of the match, while going 14-39-11 when allowing the first goal of the game.
Austrian winger Daniel Royer has turned it on since the calendar flipped over to June. Prior to June, Royer had just two goals and four assists through the first 11 matches. Since June 1, he has rattled off eight goals and four assists in 17 matches. Royer is quietly scoring against every team in the league, having scored against 18 of the 23 MLS teams and recently checking off Portland on Wednesday. Royer's final five teams he needs to complete his list are FC Cincinnati, FC Dallas, Houston, Orlando City and Philadelphia.
New York concludes their two-game homestand with their home regular-season finale against D.C. United on Sunday, Sept. 29. Kickoff is set for 5 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 20, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Academy Forward Daniel Rios Called into U.S. Soccer Youth National Team Camp - Houston Dynamo FC
- LAFC Forward Adama Diomande Voluntarily Enters MLS SABH Program for Assessment - MLS
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Issued - MLS
- #FCDvNYC: Hall of Fame Game Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- LAFC Takes on Toronto FC on Saturday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Spots Still Open for Sunday's Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation Rave Green Run, Presented by CHI Franciscan - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Real Salt Lake - New England Revolution
- Impact Visits LA Galaxy Saturday Night in California - Club de Foot Montreal
- Match Preview: New York Returns East for Two-Match Homestand - New York Red Bulls
- Limited Tickets Remain for Home Finale vs. Seattle on September 29 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Tigres U.A.N.L. and Club Santos Laguna to Face off in LIGA MX Friendly at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dynamo FC
- Preview: Real Salt Lake Visits New England Revolution - Real Salt Lake
- U.S. Soccer Selects Exploria Stadium To Host USMNT vs. Canada - Orlando City SC
- Sporting to Host Colorado on Kick Childhood Cancer Night - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Host New York City FC in the First of Two New York Derby's this Week
- New York Defeats Inter Miami CF 4-0
- Red Bulls Face off against Inter Miami CF for First Time this Season
- New York Falls to Columbus Crew 2-1
- Red Bulls Embark on Two-Match Road Trip Starting with Columbus on Tuesday Night