Tigres U.A.N.L. and Club Santos Laguna to Face off in LIGA MX Friendly at BBVA Stadium
HOUSTON - BBVA Stadium will host two of Mexico's most successful teams for a face off on Saturday, October 12, stadium officials announced today. Kickoff for the match is set for 5:30 p.m. CDT.
The two popular clubs are currently holding a playoff spot in the Apertura 2019 tournament in BBVA Liga MX, the top tier of the Mexican Football league. Tigres, the reigning BBVA Liga MX Clausura 2019 champion, currently sit in the sixth spot of the standings while Santos are in third but are just three points ahead.
Tickets for the match will go on sale Monday, September 23 at 12 p.m. CDT, with prices starting at $29. Tickets may be purchased online at BBVAStadium.com, by phone at 1 (888) 929-7849, or in person at the BBVA Stadium Box Office, which is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT. Houston Dynamo and Dash members will have access to an exclusive pre-sale opportunity starting Monday morning at 9 a.m.
"We look forward to hosting Tigres and Santos Laguna at BBVA Stadium in October," said BBVA Stadium general manager Juan Rodriguez. "Both clubs have a tremendous following here in Houston and are among the most successful sides in Mexico over the last several years and we are excited about a fun and exciting match."
Tigres U.A.N.L. have been BBVA Liga MX champions seven times and won the Copa MX on three occasions. Most recently, the club won the 2018 Campeones Cup against Toronto FC and finished the 2019 CONCACAF Cup as runners-up after being defeated by their rivals, C.F. Monterrey. Led by French forward André-Pierre Gignac, Tigres bounced back by becoming the BBVA Liga MX Clausura 2019 champions when they defeated Club Leon in May 26, 1-0.
Club Santos Laguna have won six championships and a Copa MX title since joining the Mexican league in 1983, most recently capturing the BBVA Liga MX Clausura in 2018. The Torreón club is led by Argentinian forward Julio Furch, who has scored 46 goals since joining the club in 2017. Along with Furch, goalkeeper Jonathan Orozco has become a key piece to the team and a standout on the Mexican National Team, most recently competing in the 2019 Gold Cup.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 20, 2019
- Houston Dynamo Academy Forward Daniel Rios Called into U.S. Soccer Youth National Team Camp - Houston Dynamo
- LAFC Forward Adama Diomande Voluntarily Enters MLS SABH Program for Assessment - MLS
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Issued - MLS
- #FCDvNYC: Hall of Fame Game Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- LAFC Takes on Toronto FC on Saturday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Spots Still Open for Sunday's Sounders FC and RAVE Foundation Rave Green Run, Presented by CHI Franciscan - Seattle Sounders FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. San Jose Earthquakes - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. Real Salt Lake - New England Revolution
- Impact Visits LA Galaxy Saturday Night in California - Montreal Impact
- Match Preview: New York Returns East for Two-Match Homestand - New York Red Bulls
- Limited Tickets Remain for Home Finale vs. Seattle on September 29 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Tigres U.A.N.L. and Club Santos Laguna to Face off in LIGA MX Friendly at BBVA Stadium - Houston Dynamo
- Preview: Real Salt Lake Visits New England Revolution - Real Salt Lake
- U.S. Soccer Selects Exploria Stadium To Host USMNT vs. Canada - Orlando City SC
- Sporting to Host Colorado on Kick Childhood Cancer Night - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo Draw 1-1 with Columbus Crew SC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Return to Bbva Stadium to Host Columbus Crew SC
- Dynamo & 76 to Host Drive-In Watch Party for FC Dallas Match at Space City Shows
- Dynamo Rally Late for 2-2 Draw at Minnesota
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Travel to Allianz Field to Face Minnesota United FC