Idaho Defeats Utah 2-1 in Overtime
Boise, Idaho - Kale Kessy wins the game in overtime as he scored his 2nd of the game on a pass from AJ White and the Idaho Steelheads win 3-2 over the Utah Grizzlies as the best of 7 series is tied 1-1 in the first round of the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by SmileDirectClub.
Idaho scored first as Kale Kessy got a power play goal 5:53 into the first period. Utah tied things up as Mike Economos scored 9:13 into the first. Taylor Richart got the assist. Idaho outshot Utah 13 to 6 in the first period. Travis Barron of the Grizzlies and Idaho's Robbie Payne got in a fight with 4 seconds left in the first.
Caleb Herbert scored a power play goal 4:26 into the second period with Kevin Davis and Josh Dickinson getting the assists. The 2nd period was filled with penalties on both sides. Utah outshot Idaho 17 to 10 in the period.
Idaho's Henrik Samuelsson tied up the game with 9:24 left in the third period. Regulation ended with Idaho outshooting Utah 40 to 34.
Both teams finished 1 for 6 on the power play. Game 3 of the best of 7 series is Wednesday, April 17th at Maverik Center. 7:05 pm face-off. For tickets go to utahgrizzlies.com or the Maverik Center box office.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 13, 2019
- Kessy's Two-Goal Night Leads Steelheads to 3-2 OT Thriller, Even Series - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho Defeats Utah 2-1 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Mack Attack: McCarron Helps Lead 'Blades to 2-0 Series Lead - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Fall in Game 2 of Opening Round - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Hildebrand Stops 31 as K-Wings Blank Cyclones, Even Series - Kalamazoo Wings
- Six Unanswered Lead Monarchs to 2-0 Series Lead - Adirondack Thunder
- Beast Drop Game Two in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Dominate Thunder, 6-1, in Game 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Win in OT, Take 2-0 Series Lead - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - April 13 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Host IceMen, Seek Two-Game Lead in Series - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 2 vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Leach Recalled by Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Game Two Saturday Night in Cincy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Drop Series Opener 7-1 to Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Open Playoffs with 7-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.