Cyclones Fall in Game 2 of Opening Round
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones fell to the Kalamazoo Wings, 2-0, in Game 2 of the Central Division Semifinals of the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by Smile Direct Club. The best-of-seven game series is now tied, 1-1. Kalamazoo goaltender Jake Hildebrand was perfect on the night, stopping all 31 shots he faced in the win.
After a scoreless opening period, Kalamazoo took a 1-0 lead early in the second on a power play goal from forward Reid Gardner. The teams battled all period long and exchanged quality scoring chances all throughout, however Kalamazoo took their 1-0 lead into the locker room after 40 minutes.
In the third, Cincinnati started to turn the tide offensively, outshooting the Wings, 11-5, in the frame. Despite the offensive onslaught, Kalamazoo extended their lead to 2-0 when forward Chris Collins found the back of the net. The Cyclones received a few more quality scoring chances in the final minutes, however were not able to break through, and the Wings held on for the 2-0 lead.
Cincinnati outshot the Wings, 31-26, with goaltender Michael Houser stopping 24 in the loss. The Cyclones head to Kalamazoo for Game 3 of the series on Wednesday night. Face-off is slated for 7:30pm ET.
The 2018-19 season has come to an end and the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs presented by Smile Direct Club are HERE! The 2018-19 ECHL Brabham Cup Champion Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride, and playoff tickets are on sale NOW starting at $18 per seat for single game tickets and $15 per seat for groups of 20 or more! Call (513) 421-PUCK for tickets and more information, and stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com !
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 13, 2019
- Kessy's Two-Goal Night Leads Steelheads to 3-2 OT Thriller, Even Series - Idaho Steelheads
- Idaho Defeats Utah 2-1 in Overtime - Utah Grizzlies
- Mack Attack: McCarron Helps Lead 'Blades to 2-0 Series Lead - Florida Everblades
- Cyclones Fall in Game 2 of Opening Round - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Hildebrand Stops 31 as K-Wings Blank Cyclones, Even Series - Kalamazoo Wings
- Six Unanswered Lead Monarchs to 2-0 Series Lead - Adirondack Thunder
- Beast Drop Game Two in Overtime - Brampton Beast
- Monarchs Dominate Thunder, 6-1, in Game 2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Growlers Win in OT, Take 2-0 Series Lead - Newfoundland Growlers
- ECHL Transactions - April 13 - ECHL
- Preview: 'Blades Host IceMen, Seek Two-Game Lead in Series - Florida Everblades
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: Kelly Cup Playoffs- Round 1, Game 2 vs. Kalamazoo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Leach Recalled by Hershey - South Carolina Stingrays
- Game Day: Game Two Saturday Night in Cincy - Kalamazoo Wings
- Steelheads Drop Series Opener 7-1 to Utah - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Open Playoffs with 7-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.