Houser Perfect as 'Clones Clip Wings
Cincinnati, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (45-10-4-3) earned a 3-0 win over the Kalamazoo Wings on Saturday night. Forwards Brady Vail and Mike Marnell, along with defenseman Eric Knodel netted the goals for the Cyclones, whole goaltender Michael Houser stopped all 28 shots he faced for his second shutout of the season.
Cincinnati only needed 25 seconds to get on the board, as forward Pascal Aquin threw a pass to Vail from the left corner, and he rifled in a shot to put the Cyclones on top, 1-0.
The 1-0 Cyclones lead held up throughout the remainder of the first period, and in the second Cincinnati pushed their advantage to 2-0 when forward Ben Johnson sent a pass from the right corner to Knodel in the slot, and he hammered a shot in past Kalamazoo goaltender Jake Hildebrand 5:38 into the frame.
Cincinnati continued their forward motion and tacked on one more when Marnell took a pass from defenseman Kurt Gosselin on the left wing and skated in on goal unimpeded and scored to give the Cyclones a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes.
That was all the offense Cincinnati needed, as Houser was perfect in the third, stopping all nine shots he faced in the frame to seal the Cyclones 3-0 win. Shots in the game were tied, 23-23, while the Cyclones penalty kill was a perfect 3-for-3. Cincinnati takes the ice next on Wednesday against the Wheeling Nailers. Face-off is scheduled for 7:35pm ET.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, and the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride! Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2019
- Mavericks Falter in Third Period, Fall 6-2 to Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bourke and Solar Bears Take Down Steelheads, 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Clinch Playoff Spot with Third Period Comeback - Tulsa Oilers
- Riley Tells Growlers to Sit, Stay in 6-4 Thunder Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Besse Nets Two But SC Comes up Short to Blades - South Carolina Stingrays
- Houser Perfect as 'Clones Clip Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Houser, Cyclones Blank K-Wings 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Stifle Royals in St. Patrick's Day Victory in Reading - Indy Fuel
- Winiecki's Two-Goal Game Leads 'Blades to Eighth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Unlucky in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- Schmidt Scores 20th of Season, Royals Fall at Home to Indy, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Struggle in Glens Falls, Fall 6-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Leap Frog into Playoff Spot After 5-3 Home Win over Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Taken Down by Solar Bears, 6-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Mariners Drop Back and Forth Affair in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Beast Drop Second Straight, Lose 4-1 to Fort Wayne - Brampton Beast
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Colton Point Called up to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel and IceHogs Swap Players - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Inch Closer to Postseason Berth with 3-2 Win over Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: K-Wings and Cyclones Square off for Final Time this Season - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: One Fan Will Win $10,000 If Royals Player Gets Hat Trick in Rematch vs. Fuel - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.