Oilers Clinch Playoff Spot with Third Period Comeback
INDEPENDENCE, MO - The long wait is over for the Tulsa Oilers (36-21-6). With a five-goal third period, the Oilers came back to beat the Kansas City Mavericks (32-24-5), 6-2, to clinch a spot in the Kelly Cup Playoffs, presented by Smile Direct Club, for the first time since the 2014-15 season.
The Mavericks took an early lead when Loren Ulett capitalized on a 2-on-1 rush. Tulsa tied the game when Charlie Sampair scored on a short-handed breakaway. Ulett found a loose puck shortly after Sampair's goal and buried his second of the period at the edge of the Oilers crease to make it 2-1 before the end of the opening frame.
Both teams had their chances in the middle period, but neither team was able to change the score before the second break. Ian Keserich stopped all ten Kansas City shots, while Nick Schneider kept the Oilers off the board with eight saves in the period.
Stephen Perfetto found a loose puck in the high slot and spun a shot into the net with 6:56 remaining in the game for a power play goal to tie things up at 2-2. Oilers defenseman Eric Drapluk then rifled a shot on a 4-on-2 rush into the top corner of the net to put Tulsa ahead for good. Dylan Bredo added an insurance goal from the left circle with 2:28 left to make it 4-2, and Roman Ammirato scored an empty netter with 1:14 to play. Charlie Sampair, for good measure, knocked a puck out of mid-air and into the net to make it 6-2 with 30 seconds left to complete a four-point game.
Tulsa finished the night three points ahead of Idaho for first place in the Mountain Division with nine points to play, and became the third team in the ECHL to punch its ticket to the postseason.
The Oilers have a week off before next heading to Wichita for two games against the Thunder at INTRUST Bank Arena Saturday and Sunday, Mar. 23-24. Catch all the action Saturday on the Sports Animal radio network, www.tulsaoilers.com or ECHL.TV, with pregame coverage starting at 6:45pm.
Follow us on Twitter and Instagram , or "Like" us on Facebook for more information about the Tulsa Oilers. Season and Group Tickets are on sale now by calling the Oilers front office at 918-632-7825. Visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2019
- Mavericks Falter in Third Period, Fall 6-2 to Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bourke and Solar Bears Take Down Steelheads, 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Clinch Playoff Spot with Third Period Comeback - Tulsa Oilers
- Riley Tells Growlers to Sit, Stay in 6-4 Thunder Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Besse Nets Two But SC Comes up Short to Blades - South Carolina Stingrays
- Houser Perfect as 'Clones Clip Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Houser, Cyclones Blank K-Wings 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Stifle Royals in St. Patrick's Day Victory in Reading - Indy Fuel
- Winiecki's Two-Goal Game Leads 'Blades to Eighth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Unlucky in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- Schmidt Scores 20th of Season, Royals Fall at Home to Indy, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Struggle in Glens Falls, Fall 6-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Leap Frog into Playoff Spot After 5-3 Home Win over Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Taken Down by Solar Bears, 6-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Mariners Drop Back and Forth Affair in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Beast Drop Second Straight, Lose 4-1 to Fort Wayne - Brampton Beast
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Colton Point Called up to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel and IceHogs Swap Players - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Inch Closer to Postseason Berth with 3-2 Win over Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: K-Wings and Cyclones Square off for Final Time this Season - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: One Fan Will Win $10,000 If Royals Player Gets Hat Trick in Rematch vs. Fuel - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.