Steelheads Taken Down by Solar Bears, 6-2
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Idaho Steelheads (35-22-5) fell behind early and couldn't come back in a 6-2 loss to the Orlando Solar Bears (34-21-5) on Saturday night from Amway Center.
The Solar Bears edged ahead with the first goal of the night at 9:11 of the first period when forward Trevor Olson placed in a centering pass shorthanded to take the 1-0 lead. The Solar Bears quickly expanded their lead before the end of the frame with a goal by forward Troy Bourke at 18:53 and forward Mathieu Foget at 19:58, tripling the lead to 3-0.
The lead grew swiftly in the second period with tallies by Solar Bears forward Colby McAuley at 0:39 on the power play followed by forward Otto Somppi at 6:32 and defenseman Akim Aliu at 6:52, which gave the home side a 6-0 lead. The Steelheads stopped the run at 18:22 when forward Steve McParland deflected a shot from the blue line on a cross through the slot, and the tally finally found an answer in a 6-1 game.
The Steelheads get one more goal in the third period at 12:52 when forward Kyle Schempp sauces a pass over a sliding defenseman for forward Elgin Pearce off the left post for a one-time chip shot to cut the lead down to 6-2. However, the Steelheads couldn't find more offense and settled in with the loss.
Solar Bears goaltender Connor Ingram (3-1-0) turned away 28 of 30 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Tomas Sholl (21-11-0) stopped 29 of 35 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Solar Bears continue their three-game stretch on Sunday, Mar. 17 at 3:30 p.m. MT from RDV Sportsplex Ice Den. Coverage begins at 3:10 p.m. MT only on 1350 AM KTIK.
The Steelheads return to CenturyLink Arena on Wednesday, Mar. 27 at 7:10 p.m. against the Rapid City Rush. Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2019
- Mavericks Falter in Third Period, Fall 6-2 to Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bourke and Solar Bears Take Down Steelheads, 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Clinch Playoff Spot with Third Period Comeback - Tulsa Oilers
- Riley Tells Growlers to Sit, Stay in 6-4 Thunder Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Besse Nets Two But SC Comes up Short to Blades - South Carolina Stingrays
- Houser Perfect as 'Clones Clip Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Houser, Cyclones Blank K-Wings 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Stifle Royals in St. Patrick's Day Victory in Reading - Indy Fuel
- Winiecki's Two-Goal Game Leads 'Blades to Eighth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Unlucky in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- Schmidt Scores 20th of Season, Royals Fall at Home to Indy, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Struggle in Glens Falls, Fall 6-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Leap Frog into Playoff Spot After 5-3 Home Win over Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Taken Down by Solar Bears, 6-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Mariners Drop Back and Forth Affair in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Beast Drop Second Straight, Lose 4-1 to Fort Wayne - Brampton Beast
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Colton Point Called up to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel and IceHogs Swap Players - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Inch Closer to Postseason Berth with 3-2 Win over Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: K-Wings and Cyclones Square off for Final Time this Season - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: One Fan Will Win $10,000 If Royals Player Gets Hat Trick in Rematch vs. Fuel - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Idaho Steelheads Stories
- Steelheads Weekly - April 22, 2019
- Steelheads Clinch Series with 2-1 Overtime Win over Grizzlies
- Steelheads Erase Three-Goal Deficit, Complete Comeback in 5-4 Overtime Win in Game 4
- Steelheads Battle to 3-2 Overtime Win over Utah, Take Series Lead
- Steelheads to Host Free Watch Parties for Games in Utah at SportZone