Growlers Struggle in Glens Falls, Fall 6-4
The Newfoundland Growlers couldn't find success in Glens Falls as they lose their fourth straight game, 6-4 against the Adirondack Thunder.
The Growlers did open the scoring just 2 minutes into the game as Zach O'Brien blasted a one-timer past Logan Thompson, the Thunder goaltender. Marcus Power picked up an assist on the play.
The Growlers held a 1-0 lead to open the second period but it was all Thunder in the second frame as they would go on to score three unanswered goals, one from Kelly Summers, Brian Ward and Conor Riley.
Conor Riley continued to score in the third period, a period which saw 6 goals spread between the two clubs. Adam Pardy responded at the 11-minute mark to cut the Thunder lead in half at 4-2. Micheal Garteig left the crease for an extra attached with just over 3 minutes left to play in the game but the attempt failed as Brian Ward was credited with an empty-net goal on a pass that hopped over a Zach O'Brien's stick.
Brady Ferguson made it interesting with less than 2 minutes left in the game as he beat the Thunder netminder to once again bring the Growlers with 2, making it 5-3. The Thunder would respond once again with an empty-net tally, this time from Conor Riley, his third of the game at 19:06.
Derian Plouffe made sure that the Growlers kept their foot on the gas as he scored a late-game goal with just 9 seconds on the clock to cut the Thunder lead back to 2 goals but the Thunder would hold on to win 6-4.
The Growlers lost four straight games for the first time in franchise history.
Josh Kestner is on a four-game point streak
The three stars were 3 - M. Sdao (ADK), 2 - B. Ward (AdK) and 1 - C. Riley (ADK)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their six-game road trip beginning Sunday afternoon in Maine versus the Mariners. Catch all the action with play-by-play broadcaster Chris Ballard at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2019
- Mavericks Falter in Third Period, Fall 6-2 to Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bourke and Solar Bears Take Down Steelheads, 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Clinch Playoff Spot with Third Period Comeback - Tulsa Oilers
- Riley Tells Growlers to Sit, Stay in 6-4 Thunder Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Besse Nets Two But SC Comes up Short to Blades - South Carolina Stingrays
- Houser Perfect as 'Clones Clip Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Houser, Cyclones Blank K-Wings 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Stifle Royals in St. Patrick's Day Victory in Reading - Indy Fuel
- Winiecki's Two-Goal Game Leads 'Blades to Eighth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Unlucky in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- Schmidt Scores 20th of Season, Royals Fall at Home to Indy, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Struggle in Glens Falls, Fall 6-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Leap Frog into Playoff Spot After 5-3 Home Win over Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Taken Down by Solar Bears, 6-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Mariners Drop Back and Forth Affair in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Beast Drop Second Straight, Lose 4-1 to Fort Wayne - Brampton Beast
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Colton Point Called up to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel and IceHogs Swap Players - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Inch Closer to Postseason Berth with 3-2 Win over Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: K-Wings and Cyclones Square off for Final Time this Season - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: One Fan Will Win $10,000 If Royals Player Gets Hat Trick in Rematch vs. Fuel - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Newfoundland Growlers Stories
- Round Two Schedule Announced, Growlers Face-Off against Monarchs
- Growlers Tame the Beast, Advance to Second Round
- Beast Force Game Six at Mile One Centre
- Beast Force Game 5 as the Growlers Lose 4-1
- O'Brien Scores in Double Overtime, Growlers Lead Series 3-0