Nailers Unlucky in Toledo
TOLEDO, OH - Saturday night was an emotional game at Huntington Center, and in the end, the Wheeling Nailers left with a sour taste in their mouths. Bryan Moore scored what turned out to be the game winning goal as part of a Gordie Howe Hat Trick, as the Toledo Walleye escaped with a 3-2 home victory. Renars Krastenbergs and Dan Fick were the goal scorers for Wheeling.
Both teams got on the scoreboard in the first period. Toledo was the first to strike with a controversial goal, as Dylan Sadowy broke in alone, and appeared to ring a shot off both posts. However, the goal was ruled good on the ice, then upheld due to a technological malfunction. The Nailers bounced back to square the contest with 5:28 remaining in the stanza. Alec Butcher whipped a shot on goal from the left side, which was padded away. Renars Krastenbergs was camped out in the low slot, where he slammed home the rebound.
The Walleye had a strong start to the middle frame, scoring twice in the opening five minutes. At the 42-second mark, A.J. Jenks and Shane Berschbach exchanged passes on an odd-man rush, with Jenks potting the goal from the left side. Bryan Moore followed that up with a backhander from the right circle. With less than two minutes to go, Dan Fick brought Wheeling within one, as he tossed in a wrist shot from the right point off a face-off win by Zac Lynch, who assisted on each of the first two markers.
Neither team was able to light the lamp in the third period, as Toledo held on for the 3-2 win.
Pat Nagle got the win in goal for the Walleye, making 27 saves on 29 shots. Matt O'Connor turned aside 31 of the 34 shots he faced for the Nailers in the defeat.
The Nailers will play one more road game on Wednesday in Cincinnati at 7:35, before returning home for a Frosty Friday against Indy on March 22nd at 7:05. Other exciting upcoming promotions include First Responders Night March 31st and Fan Appreciation Night April 6th. The Wheeling Nailers, considered one of the top things to do in Wheeling, West Virginia, provide affordable family entertainment for fans throughout the Ohio Valley. For information on season tickets, group tickets, flex plans, and more, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2019
- Mavericks Falter in Third Period, Fall 6-2 to Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bourke and Solar Bears Take Down Steelheads, 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Clinch Playoff Spot with Third Period Comeback - Tulsa Oilers
- Riley Tells Growlers to Sit, Stay in 6-4 Thunder Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Besse Nets Two But SC Comes up Short to Blades - South Carolina Stingrays
- Houser Perfect as 'Clones Clip Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Houser, Cyclones Blank K-Wings 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Stifle Royals in St. Patrick's Day Victory in Reading - Indy Fuel
- Winiecki's Two-Goal Game Leads 'Blades to Eighth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Unlucky in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- Schmidt Scores 20th of Season, Royals Fall at Home to Indy, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Struggle in Glens Falls, Fall 6-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Leap Frog into Playoff Spot After 5-3 Home Win over Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Taken Down by Solar Bears, 6-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Mariners Drop Back and Forth Affair in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Beast Drop Second Straight, Lose 4-1 to Fort Wayne - Brampton Beast
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Colton Point Called up to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel and IceHogs Swap Players - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Inch Closer to Postseason Berth with 3-2 Win over Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: K-Wings and Cyclones Square off for Final Time this Season - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: One Fan Will Win $10,000 If Royals Player Gets Hat Trick in Rematch vs. Fuel - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.