Bourke and Solar Bears Take Down Steelheads, 6-2
ORLANDO, Fla. - Troy Bourke had a four-point night and the Orlando Solar Bears (34-21-4-1) inched closer towards locking up a playoff spot with a 6-2 win over the Idaho Steelheads (35-22-3-2) on Saturday night at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center.
Click here for the box score.
The Solar Bears took a 1-0 lead with a shorthanded goal at 9:11 of the first period as Chris LeBlanc pursued Steelheads defenseman Jeff King behind the Idaho net, stole the puck from the blueliner and fed Trevor Olson at the right side of the net for Olson's 16th of the season.
Bourke put Orlando up 2-0 with his 10th of the season at 18:53 when he received a feed from Mitch Hults on his backhand in the slot, then lifted the puck over the glove of Tomas Sholl.
Mathieu Foget closed out the frame with his 18th of the season off a Michael Brodzinski rebound to send the Solar Bears into the dressing room up 3-0.
The scoring binge extended into the second period as Colby McAuley found the back of the net just 39 seconds into the middle frame with his 12th of the season.
Otto Somppi made it 5-0 when Sholl tried to poke the puck away from the Idaho net on an Orlando dump-in, but Bourke pounced on the loose puck and found Somppi in the slot for the rookie's eighth of the season at 6:32.
Moments later, Somppi and Bourke teamed up on a face-off play and set up Akim Aliu, who blasted his fourth of the season past Sholl at 6:52 to make it 6-0.
The Steelheads finally solved Connor Ingram at 18:22 with a power-play goal from Steven McParland, and Elgin Pearce added a goal at 12:52 of the third period, but the Solar Bears shut the door the rest of the way on Idaho.
Ingram turned aside 28 shots of the 30 he faced for the victory; Sholl took the loss with 29 stops on 35 shots against.
1) Troy Bourke - ORL
2) Mitch Hults - ORL
3) Chris LeBlanc - ORL
The win, combined with South Carolina's 4-3 loss to Florida, has reduced Orlando's magic number to clinch a berth in the 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs to six points.
The Solar Bears improved to 22-3-1-0 when the team scores first and 24-0-0-0 when leading after the second period this season.
Bourke had his team-leading third four-point outing of the season, and leads Orlando with 10 total multi-point games. The forward also extended his point streak to four games (3g-8a), and his goal was the 50th of his pro career.
McAuley returned from a one-game suspension and played in his 100th career pro game. His goal extended his goal streak to three games (5g).
Cody Donaghey recorded two assists, extending his point streak to three games (1g-4a).
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears host the Idaho Steelheads on Sunday, March 17 at 5:30 p.m. at the RDV Sportsplex Ice Den. Please note that Sunday's game is sold out - CLICK HERE to listen to the game. Orlando is back at the ARS.com Rink at Amway Center to conclude its series with Idaho on Tuesday, March 19 at 7 p.m. CLICK HERE to purchase tickets for this game.
2019-20 Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now:
Upgrade to Solar Status and become a Season Ticket Member today. Season ticket memberships for the 2019-20 season are now on sale and start as little as $270.
2018-19 Season Presented by XYMOPrint:
The Orlando Solar Bears are proud to have local digital printing experts XYMOPrint as the presenting sponsor of the 2018-19 season. As a special offer, fans who call XYMOPrint at (888) 223-9390 from now until June 15, 2019 and reference the Solar Bears will receive 30% off their first order of 500 business cards.
2018-19 Single-Game Tickets Now on Sale:
Single-game tickets for the Orlando Solar Bears 2018-19 regular season home schedule are now on sale. Fans can purchase single-game tickets for as little as $15 at the Amway Center box office, or online at Ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 16, 2019
- Mavericks Falter in Third Period, Fall 6-2 to Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Bourke and Solar Bears Take Down Steelheads, 6-2 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Oilers Clinch Playoff Spot with Third Period Comeback - Tulsa Oilers
- Riley Tells Growlers to Sit, Stay in 6-4 Thunder Win - Adirondack Thunder
- Besse Nets Two But SC Comes up Short to Blades - South Carolina Stingrays
- Houser Perfect as 'Clones Clip Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Houser, Cyclones Blank K-Wings 3-0 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Fuel Stifle Royals in St. Patrick's Day Victory in Reading - Indy Fuel
- Winiecki's Two-Goal Game Leads 'Blades to Eighth Straight Win - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Unlucky in Toledo - Wheeling Nailers
- Schmidt Scores 20th of Season, Royals Fall at Home to Indy, 5-1 - Reading Royals
- Growlers Struggle in Glens Falls, Fall 6-4 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Railers Leap Frog into Playoff Spot After 5-3 Home Win over Mariners - Worcester Railers HC
- Steelheads Taken Down by Solar Bears, 6-2 - Idaho Steelheads
- Mariners Drop Back and Forth Affair in Worcester - Maine Mariners
- Beast Drop Second Straight, Lose 4-1 to Fort Wayne - Brampton Beast
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Steelheads - Orlando Solar Bears
- Goaltender Colton Point Called up to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel and IceHogs Swap Players - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - March 16 - ECHL
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Kalamazoo Wings - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers at Walleye Game Day Snap Shot, March 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Mavericks Inch Closer to Postseason Berth with 3-2 Win over Wichita - Kansas City Mavericks
- Game Day: K-Wings and Cyclones Square off for Final Time this Season - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Day: One Fan Will Win $10,000 If Royals Player Gets Hat Trick in Rematch vs. Fuel - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- Solar Bears Part Ways with Assistant Coach Marc LeFebvre
- Hunter Fejes Joins Hershey Bears for Calder Cup Playoffs Run
- 2018-19 Season Ends with 2-1 Double-OT Loss to Everblades
- Game Preview: Solar Bears vs. Everblades
- Solar Bears Shut out by Everblades in Game 4