Hawks Rally and Tally Three Unanswered for 3-1 Win Over Royals
Thanks to a run of three unanswered goals and a perfectly executed 5-on-3 in the third period, Portland erased an early deficit and snapped a three-game skid with a win over Victoria.
Game #24: Portland (3) vs Victoria (1)
SOG: POR (28) - VIC (30)
PP: POR (2/5) - VIC (0/5)
Saves: Špunar (29/30) - Cristiano (25/28)
VIC - 2:52 - First Period - Carter Dereniwsky (4) from Teydon Trembecky and Justin Kipkie
POR - 0:27 - Second Period - Jack O'Brien (7) from Aidan Litke and Ryan McCleary
POR - 3:28 - Third Period - Gabe Klassen (16) from Luca Cagnoni and James Stefan
POR - 4:49 - Third Period - Ryder Thompson (2) from Robbie Fromm-Delorme and Dawson Pasternak
Facing another early deficit, the Winterhawks (18-4-1-1) rallied for three straight goals to knock off the visiting Victoria Royals (3-19-3-0) by a 3-1 final and snap their three-game winless skid on Friday night.
Jan Špunar picked up 29 saves on 30 shots for his seventh victory of the campaign.
For the second time this week, the Hawks hit the first intermission down by a goal after coughing up an early tally to Carter Dereniwsky just 2:52 into the contest. Despite trailing, the hosts stuck to their game and quickly leveled the affair less than 30 seconds into the middle frame on Jack O'Brien's seventh of the year. Camped out in front of the net, O'Brien hammered home an Aidan Litke to score for the second straight game.
As the final frame began, Portland pushed for another and finally got its breakthrough with two tallies in 1:21 to take, then extend, its first lead of the night. Gabe Klassen grabbed the go-ahead 3:28 into the third, finishing off some pretty passing on a 5-on-3 for his team-leading 16th goal of the year. Shortly after, Ryder Thompson finished off the conventional 5-on-4 power play with a blue line bomb that snuck through Nicholas Cristiano for his second of the year and a 3-1 lead for Portland.
The Winterhawks now hit the road for a divisional tilt in Everett tomorrow night at 6:05 P.M.
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT presented by BBF TECHNOLOGIES:
"Just an amazing feeling to be part of the program and take that (solo) lap. The first shift was kind of nerve-wracking, but after that I felt like I could get into my game a little bit."
Winterhawks forward Ryan Miller
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2022
- T-Birds Bear Down on Victoria - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Berezowski Nets OT Winner, Tips Complete Comeback vs Portland 4-3 - Everett Silvertips
- Wiesblatt Makes the Fur Fly in Tigers' Loss to Blades - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Win Fifth Straight, Beat Rebels in Red Deer - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Royals Fall to Thunderbirds in Hard-Fought Saturday Night Contest - Victoria Royals
- Hawks Tally Twice in the Third to Pick up a Point in Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets Lose Fourth Straight - Kelowna Rockets
- Blades Sweep Road Trip After 2-1 Win in Medicine Hat - Saskatoon Blades
- Penalty Trouble Costs Broncos in 4-2 Loss to Brandon - Swift Current Broncos
- Hawks Pick Up A Point In Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Hyland & Ritchie Score a Pair; Win Second Straight at Home - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Prince Albert Falls to ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Raiders Fall 6-4 To Ice To Close Out Five-Game Road Trip - Prince Albert Raiders
- Wheat Kings Host Broncos Saturday Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Americans Look for 4th Straight Home Victory - Tri-City Americans
- Annual Teddy Bear Toss Set for Saturday as Chiefs Host Lethbridge Hurricane - Spokane Chiefs
- Game Day Preview December 3 vs Saskatoon - Teddy Bear Toss Night - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Continue Road Trip in Alberta this Weekend - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Game #27 - ICE vs Prince Albert Raiders, 7:00 at the ICE Cave Inside Wayne Fleming Arena - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings Pick Up Victory in Marty Murray's Coaching Debut - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game Day Hub: December 3 at Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Americans Defeat Lethbridge 4-2, Earn Third Straight Victory at Home - Tri-City Americans
- Royals Open Road Trip with Close 3-1 Loss to Winterhawks - Victoria Royals
- Hawks Rally and Tally Three Unanswered for 3-1 Win Over Royals - Portland Winterhawks
- Pats Put Down Cougars 5-1 - Regina Pats
- Chiefs Bounce Back, Dominant Performance from Cowan Earns 2-1 Victory - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Come Up Short Friday In Kamloops, 3-0 - Vancouver Giants
- Kelowna Falls 2-1 - Kelowna Rockets
- Blades Clutch Up for 4-3 OT Win in Red Deer - Saskatoon Blades
- Late Power Play Vaults Tigers to 1st Win in Calgary - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Hitmen Fall to Tiger 4-3 - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.