Hart Deals into Eighth, RailRiders Win Late
MOOSIC, Pa. - Kyle Hart continued his terrific season with another strong start, but the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders used a pinch-hit home run in the bottom of the eighth inning to defeat the Pawtucket Red Sox, 4-2, on Wednesday night at PNC Field.
The PawSox (54-73) and division-leading RailRiders (68-60) each scored two runs in the second inning, and the game remained locked at two into the bottom of the eighth. With one on and one out, RailRiders pinch hitter Breyvic Valera pulled a two-run homer over the right-field wall to eventually win the third game of the four-game series.
Hart (L, 9-6) left in the eighth inning in a 2-2 game after tossing 7.1 sharp innings of three-run ball in which he struck out five. After laboring in the second inning, Hart rolled through the third through seventh innings. The 26-year-old from Cincinnati has made 25 appearances (22 starts) between Pawtucket and Double-A Portland this season and has combined to post a 3.48 ERA in 144.2 innings. Hart has thrown the most innings of all Red Sox minor leaguers, has piled up the second-most strikeouts (132) and compiled the fifth-best ERA of all qualifiers in the farm system.
Pawtucket center fielder Gorkys Hernández (2-for-3, R, BB) and catcher Oscar Hernández (2-for-4, RBI) led the offense. But RailRiders starter Nick Nelson spun six innings of two-run work, while Tyler Lyons (1.2 IP) and J.P. Feyereisen (W, 9-2) buttoned up the late innings out of the bullpen.
Oscar Hernández and Cole Sturgeon supplied consecutive RBI singles in the top of the second to prop up Pawtucket to a 2-0 lead. The RailRiders, however, quickly countered with a pair of run-scoring hits of their own in the next half-inning.
The PawSox conclude their four-game series against the RailRiders on Thursday at 7:05 p.m. Pawtucket right-hander Ryan Weber (1-4, 4.48) is scheduled to oppose RailRiders righty Mike King (0-1, 7.50). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:35 p.m.
Following their seven-game road trip through Scranton and Buffalo, the PawSox return home for a nine-game homestand August 26th through September 2nd (Monday-Monday) against the Yankees' and Phillies' Triple-A affiliates.
On August 27 (Tuesday), the PawSox will again play as the popular Osos Polares de Pawtucket. Then on August 29 (Thursday), the PawSox will host Team Poster and Autograph Night. The first 5,000 fans entering the stadium will receive a full-color PawSox Team Poster suitable for framing. From 5-6 PM before the game, fans will also be allowed on the field for pictures and autographs with their favorite players. On August 30 (Friday), the PawSox will take the field as the Pawtucket Fightin' Quahogs in a name change that pays homage to one of Rhode Island's most famous cuisines. The PawSox will wear caps and jerseys featuring the Fightin' Quahogs logo for the second game of that Friday doubleheader. On August 31 (Saturday), fans can enjoy post-game fireworks set to music from Motown. On September 1 (Sunday), fans can play catch on the field and then run the bases post-game on a Sunday FunDay.
During the homestretch, the PawSox will admit for free children 16 and under. They'll also let "kids run the show" at each game. Parents also have the option to partake of a new "End of Summer Family Bargain" in which they each receive a General Admission ticket, $2 in loaded value (good for food, beverage, or merchandise), and a PawSox cap, all for $12 (a $26 value).
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 21, 2019
- Tolman's Two Homers Lead Tribe to DH Split in Toledo - Indianapolis Indians
- Kay Dominates Red Wings in 7-4 Win - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Win Fourth Straight, Shut out Bulls 3-0 - Charlotte Knights
- Wilson, Home Runs Propel Gwinnett over Norfolk, 6-2 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Toledo Splits Doubleheader with Indianapolis - Toledo Mud Hens
- Bulls Blanked in Loss to Knights - Durham Bulls
- Mets Pitching Leads Team to Eighth Straight Win with 2-1 Victory over IronPigs - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Defeat Wings 7-4 Wednesday - Rochester Red Wings
- Breyvic Valera delivers the heroics for Scranton/Wilkes-Barre with game-winning homer - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Hart Deals into Eighth, RailRiders Win Late - Pawtucket Red Sox
- De Los Santos on point in 2-1 loss to Mets - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Colon Homers in 5-2 Loss - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Zeuch, Pearson Scheduled to Start for Herd in Final Home Weekend - Buffalo Bisons
- Family Campout at Frontier Field Is Saturday, August 31 - Rochester Red Wings
- RailRiders Announce 2020 Schedule - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Craig Rivet to Throw Ceremonial First Pitch Before Honda Fridaynightbash - Buffalo Bisons
- Bats to Host Peanut Allergy Awareness Day on Sunday, August 25 - Louisville Bats
- Food Week Continues Only Six Home Games Left - Rochester Red Wings
- Doubleheader Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-65) at Toledo Mud Hens (58-68) - Indianapolis Indians
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-74) at Columbus Clippers (73-54) - Louisville Bats
- First Round Playoff Tickets Go on Sale Today at Noon - Charlotte Knights
- Pearson Spins Gem in Triple-A Debut, But Herd Falls to Rochester, 4-1 - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.