Guards Shine in Overtime Loss to Salt Lake City
Taylorsville, Utah - The Iowa Wolves (17-26) lost a tough 121-117 overtime battle to the Salt Lake City Stars (21-19) Monday night despite a strong showing from the guard trio of Brandon Goodwin, C.J. Williams and Darius Johnson-Odom.
Together the three combined for 80 of the team's 117 final points.
Brandon Goodwin scorched the net with a team-high 29 points on 13-of-21 shooting. The Denver Nuggets two-way guard also added a team-high eight rebounds to go along with four assists.
C.J. Williams tied a season-high of 27 points while shooting 4-of-8 from downtown. The four made field goals from deep tied a game-high.
Darius Johnson-Odom notched his fourteenth straight game of at least 20 points, tallying 24 points while dishing out a season-high 10 assists.
Both teams were evenly matched shooting from the field. Iowa shot 46.5% (46-99) from the field and 32.4% (11-34) from deep while the Stars shot 44.8% (43-96) from the field and 32.4% (11-34) from beyond the arc.
Iowa allowed Salt Lake City to attempt 28 shots from the foul line (24-28, 85.7%), where the home team finished with a 10-point advantage for the game.
Two-way forward Tyler Cavanaugh paced the Stars offensively, scoring a game-high 32 points while securing his seventh double-double of the season. Iowa State University alum Naz Mitrou-Long finished with 25 points, six rebounds and three assists in the win.
The Wolves are now 0-2 this season against the Stars.
Iowa returns to Wells Fargo Arena this Sunday to host the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Faith & Family Night at 3:00 p.m. CT.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 26, 2019
- Charge Continue to Roll with Win over Fort Wayne - Canton Charge
- Sumner Scores 34 as Mad Ants Fall to Charge in Canton - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Reggie Hearn Hits Unreal Buzzer-Beater in Team USA Finale - Stockton Kings
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Swarm, Allegacy Team up for Theme Jersey Night - Greensboro Swarm
- Herd Reactivates Xavier Munford, Waives Andre Spight - Wisconsin Herd
- Balanced Magic Attack Beats Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Westchester Knicks Waive Parker Jackson-Cartwright - Westchester Knicks
- Tahjere McCall Signs 10-Day Contract with Brooklyn Nets - Long Island Nets
- Canton Charge to Honor Area Military Heroes - Canton Charge
- Knicks' Stephen Zimmerman and USA Qualify for World Cup - Westchester Knicks
- Stars Defeat Wolves in Overtime - Salt Lake City Stars
- Guards Shine in Overtime Loss to Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wolves Stories
- Wolves Statement on NBA G League's Decision to Cancel Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Wolves Issue Statement on NBA G League's Decision to Suspend Game Play
- Late Heroics Lift Wolves over Vipers
- Spellman's Triple-Double Not Enough in Home Loss to Warriors
- Wolves Fail to Hold off Stars in Salt Lake City