Charge Continue to Roll with Win over Fort Wayne
CANTON, OH - Without starting shooting guard Kobi Simmons (hip) and Cavaliers 2-Way forward Deng Adel (knee), the shorthanded Canton Charge (16-23), powered by the Cleveland Cavaliers, defeated the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (19-21) in a rematch of Saturday night's thriller in Fort Wayne.
Fort Wayne controlled the game during the first half, outscoring Canton 66-58 in the first 24 minutes of play. Assigned to the Mad Ants earlier in the day, Pacers guard Edmond Sumner made his presence felt, pouring in 21 points in the first half on 8-of-10 shooting. The Mad Ants dissected the Charge defense en route to a hot-shooting half, shooting 54% and leading by as many as 12. Charge center Chance Comanche scored 11 points entering the break on just three attempts from the field. Scoochie Smith complimented Comanche with 11 points of his own while dishing six assists before the halftime break.
The Charge responded in the third quarter by holding the Mad Ants to 32% shooting, including 1-of-9 from behind the three-point arc. Comanche added six more points in the stanza while grabbing eight rebounds in 11 workman-like minutes. A Sir'Dominic Pointer three-pointer with 2:58 remaining gave the Charge its first lead since the 8:20 mark in the first quarter at 85-84. Canton continued to press the issue, carrying a 91-88 lead entering the fourth quarter.
The Charge opened the fourth quarter on 10-2 run to jump out to a 101-90 lead with 8:58 remaining. A thunderous JaCorey Williams dunk with 6:52 remaining gave the hosts their largest lead of the night at 107-92. Fort Wayne responded with 11-0 run to cut the lead to 107-103 before Jaron Blossomgame finished at the rim to stop the visitor's momentum. Canton would push its lead back to as many as 10 before finally holding off the Mad Ants to claim the 122-115 victory. The Charge are winners of four consecutive games while the division foe Mad Ants find themselves on the wrong end of a four-game losing streak.
Seven Charge players scored in double figures. Blossomgame paced the Charge with a season-high 29 points, seven rebounds and five assists in a season-high 42 minutes. Comanche recorded his first double-double with the Charge, scoring 17 points while grabbing a season-high 13 rebounds in 26 minutes of action. Smith provided a double-double of his own, netting 19 points while dishing 12 assists. Malik Newman and JaCorey Williams each scored in double figures off of the bench. With tonight's win, the Charge take the season series vs. the Mad Ants, winning three of four contests.
Sumner led all scorers with 34 points, four rebounds and seven assists on assignment. Stephan Hicks notched a double-double with 22 points and 12 rebounds. Omari Johnson provided 19 points, but connected on just 1-of-9 three point attempts after connecting on 8-of-15 in Saturday night's contest in Fort Wayne.
The Charge continue the homestand by hosting the Raptors 905 on Thursday, February 28th at 7:00 PM (TV: ESPN +; RADIO: 99.7 FM). For Charge Nation Memberships, group outings, game day promotions and up-to-date information, head to CantonCharge.com or call 866-444-1944. The Canton Charge are part of the Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization and are also owned by a group led by Cavaliers Chairman and Quicken Loans Founder and Chairman Dan Gilbert. The group also owns and operates the Cleveland Monsters of the American Hockey League, who play their games at Quicken Loans Arena in downtown Cleveland.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 26, 2019
- Charge Continue to Roll with Win over Fort Wayne - Canton Charge
- Sumner Scores 34 as Mad Ants Fall to Charge in Canton - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Reggie Hearn Hits Unreal Buzzer-Beater in Team USA Finale - Stockton Kings
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Swarm, Allegacy Team up for Theme Jersey Night - Greensboro Swarm
- Herd Reactivates Xavier Munford, Waives Andre Spight - Wisconsin Herd
- Balanced Magic Attack Beats Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Westchester Knicks Waive Parker Jackson-Cartwright - Westchester Knicks
- Tahjere McCall Signs 10-Day Contract with Brooklyn Nets - Long Island Nets
- Canton Charge to Honor Area Military Heroes - Canton Charge
- Knicks' Stephen Zimmerman and USA Qualify for World Cup - Westchester Knicks
- Stars Defeat Wolves in Overtime - Salt Lake City Stars
- Guards Shine in Overtime Loss to Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Canton Charge Stories
- Update on Dan Gilbert's Health
- Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Monsters and Canton Charge Announce New-Look-Game Entertainment Teams
- Salt Lake City Summer League Announces Game Schedule
- Running of the Bulls - Charge Cap off Campaign with Win
- Charge Stall in Grand Rapids