Stars Defeat Wolves in Overtime
SALT LAKE CITY - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, defeated the Iowa Wolves 121-117 tonight at home in an overtime thriller.
The Stars (21-19) were led by Utah Jazz two-way player Tyler Cavanaugh, who notched his third 30-point performance in the last four games with a game-high 32 points and a season-high 16 rebounds. Utah Jazz two-way player Naz Mitrou-Long finished with 25 points and six boards, while Grayson Allen scored 16 points in his seventh game on assignment from the Utah Jazz this season. Jairus Lyles tallied his sixth 20-point effort of the season with 24 points, eight rebounds and a team-high six assists.
The Wolves (17-26) were led by Denver Nuggets two-way player Brandon Goodwin, who scored 29 points and grabbed a team-high eight rebounds. Darius Johnson-Odom, who entered tonight's game leading the NBA G League in scoring (22.8), finished with 24 points, a game-high 10 assists and seven rebounds, while Minnesota Timberwolves two-way player C.J. Williams tallied 27 points. Minnesota Timberwolves two-way player Jared Terrell scored 11 points off the bench.
There were 12 lead changes in the first three quarters, with the Stars owning a four-point advantage (93-89) entering the fourth frame. Iowa outscored Salt Lake City 23-19 in the fourth period to tie the game at 112-all to force overtime. The Stars outscored the Wolves 9-5 in the two-minute overtime frame to earn the four-point win and improve to 2-2 (.500) in four overtime contests this season.
The Stars will host the Agua Caliente Clippers (LA Clippers affiliate) on Friday, March 1, for "Utah Jazz Night presented by University of Utah Health." The Stars are offering a Donovan Mitchell bobblehead as part of a ticket package to the game, which includes one bobblehead and two tickets for $25 on sale now at slcstars.com. The game tips off at 7 p.m. (MT) at Bruin Arena and will be broadcast on Facebook Live, which is accessible via the Salt Lake City Stars Facebook page.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 26, 2019
- Charge Continue to Roll with Win over Fort Wayne - Canton Charge
- Sumner Scores 34 as Mad Ants Fall to Charge in Canton - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Reggie Hearn Hits Unreal Buzzer-Beater in Team USA Finale - Stockton Kings
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Swarm, Allegacy Team up for Theme Jersey Night - Greensboro Swarm
- Herd Reactivates Xavier Munford, Waives Andre Spight - Wisconsin Herd
- Balanced Magic Attack Beats Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Westchester Knicks Waive Parker Jackson-Cartwright - Westchester Knicks
- Tahjere McCall Signs 10-Day Contract with Brooklyn Nets - Long Island Nets
- Canton Charge to Honor Area Military Heroes - Canton Charge
- Knicks' Stephen Zimmerman and USA Qualify for World Cup - Westchester Knicks
- Stars Defeat Wolves in Overtime - Salt Lake City Stars
- Guards Shine in Overtime Loss to Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Salt Lake City Stars Stories
- Stars to Participate in NBA G League Single-Site Campus
- Stars Name Nathan Peavy Head Coach
- Stars Earn NBA G League Social Responsibility/Youth Basketball Award for "Autism Awareness Night"
- Statements from the Utah Jazz and Salt Lake City Stars on the Departure of Martin Schiller
- Stars Recognized for Earning Top Record in Western Conference