Knicks' Stephen Zimmerman and USA Qualify for World Cup
GREENSBORO, NY - Stephen Zimmerman of the Westchester Knicks, the official NBA G League affiliate of the New York Knicks, helped the USA Men's World Cup Qualifying February Team to a pair of wins in the second-round games.
With the USA's record-setting 111-80 win over Panama on Friday night, USA qualified for the 2019 FIBA World Cup. A thrilling 84-83 victory over Argentina last night granted USA first place honors in Group E. USA's record now stands at 10-2.
Zimmerman averaged 6.0 points on 83.3-percent shooting while collecting six boards and one assist in the two wins.
New York Knick and Westchester Knicks' alum, John Jenkins, helped lead the 2018 USA World Cup Qualifying Team to a 1-1 record during the 2018 November/December second-round games. He played and started in the USA's two games, averaging 23.5 minutes, 7.5 points and 2.5 rebounds a game.
Head coach Jeff Van Gundy said following Monday's win, "what I respect about our guys most is that both teams were qualified, both teams could have just gone through the motions and both teams fought with every ounce that they had. I just hope they take that type of passion and intensity back to where they are in the G League."
Zimmerman was also a member of the gold medalist 2014 USA U18 National Team and the 2015 USA Nike Hoop Summit team.
The 32-team field for the 2019 FIBA World Cup, which will be played Aug. 31-Sept. 15 in China, is set, including: Angola, Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Iran, Italy, Ivory Coast, Japan, Jordan, Lithuania, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Poland, Puerto Rico, Russia, Senegal, Serbia, South Korea, Spain, Tunisia, Turkey, USA and Venezuela. China qualified as the host country.
The Westchester Knicks visit the Greensboro Swarm Thursday, February 28. The action starts at 11:00 AM (ET).
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 26, 2019
- Charge Continue to Roll with Win over Fort Wayne - Canton Charge
- Sumner Scores 34 as Mad Ants Fall to Charge in Canton - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Reggie Hearn Hits Unreal Buzzer-Beater in Team USA Finale - Stockton Kings
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Swarm, Allegacy Team up for Theme Jersey Night - Greensboro Swarm
- Herd Reactivates Xavier Munford, Waives Andre Spight - Wisconsin Herd
- Balanced Magic Attack Beats Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Westchester Knicks Waive Parker Jackson-Cartwright - Westchester Knicks
- Tahjere McCall Signs 10-Day Contract with Brooklyn Nets - Long Island Nets
- Canton Charge to Honor Area Military Heroes - Canton Charge
- Knicks' Stephen Zimmerman and USA Qualify for World Cup - Westchester Knicks
- Stars Defeat Wolves in Overtime - Salt Lake City Stars
- Guards Shine in Overtime Loss to Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Westchester Knicks Stories
- King Inks Two-Way Contract with Sacramento Kings
- Jared Harper Named to 2021 All-NBA G League First Team
- Knicks End Season on High Note Beating League-Leading Erie, 130-124
- Valiant Effort Down the Stretch by Knicks But Clippers Prevail
- Knicks Acquire Quinton Rose from Available Player Pool