Sumner Scores 34 as Mad Ants Fall to Charge in Canton
Canton, Ohio - The Canton Charge (16-23) defeated the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, 122-115, at the Canton Memorial Civic Center on Tuesday night.
Indiana Pacers assignee Edmond Sumner finished one point off his career high with 34 points to go along with seven assists and four rebounds. Sumner was assigned to Fort Wayne following Indiana's game at Detroit last night.
Stephan Hicks ended the night with 22 points and 12 rebounds, good for his ninth double-double of the season. Pacers two-way guard Davon Reed bounced back from Saturday's performance with 17 points, eight rebounds and three assists.
Travin Thibodeaux added 12 points and four rebounds off the bench for Fort Wayne (19-21).
The Mad Ants did everything in the first half to erase Saturday's buzzer-beating defeat against Canton by jumping out to a lead as large as 12. Sumner poured in 21 of his 34 in the first half as Fort Wayne held an eight point lead going into the break.
A similar third quarter on Saturday from Canton gave the Charge momentum heading into the final quarter. On Tuesday night, Canton outscored Fort Wayne 33-22, despite shooting just over 40 percent from the floor, in the third quarter.
Jaron Blossomgame led the Charge out of the break with 12 of his team-high 29 points in the third quarter to take the lead back from Fort Wayne.
In the fourth quarter, Fort Wayne was able to chip away at the Canton lead to trail 109-105 with 3:29 remaining in the game, but Canton knocked down three of its final four shots to seal the victory.
Seven of Canton's eight players who logged minutes on Tuesday night - including Blossomgame - finished with at least 10 points.
Scoochie Smith finished with 19 points as well as 12 assists, and Chance Comanche tallied 17 points and 13 rebounds.
The Mad Ants travel to take on Wisconsin on Friday night in Oshkosh, while Canton will host Raptors 905 on Thursday.
Tickets are available for the next Mad Ants home game on Friday, March 8 for "Faith & Family Night" by visiting ftwaynemadants.com or calling 260-469-4667.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 26, 2019
- Charge Continue to Roll with Win over Fort Wayne - Canton Charge
- Sumner Scores 34 as Mad Ants Fall to Charge in Canton - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Reggie Hearn Hits Unreal Buzzer-Beater in Team USA Finale - Stockton Kings
- Tonight's Windy City Bulls Game Postponed - Windy City Bulls
- Tonight's Game Postponed Until Tomorrow - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Swarm, Allegacy Team up for Theme Jersey Night - Greensboro Swarm
- Herd Reactivates Xavier Munford, Waives Andre Spight - Wisconsin Herd
- Balanced Magic Attack Beats Go-Go - Capital City Go-Go
- Westchester Knicks Waive Parker Jackson-Cartwright - Westchester Knicks
- Tahjere McCall Signs 10-Day Contract with Brooklyn Nets - Long Island Nets
- Canton Charge to Honor Area Military Heroes - Canton Charge
- Knicks' Stephen Zimmerman and USA Qualify for World Cup - Westchester Knicks
- Stars Defeat Wolves in Overtime - Salt Lake City Stars
- Guards Shine in Overtime Loss to Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Mad Ants Stories
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants to Celebrate 15th Anniversary Season
- Fort Wayne Mad Ants Announce Priority Home Dates for 2021-22
- Amida Brimah Signs Two-Way Contract with Indiana Pacers
- Pacers Sign Oshae Brissett to 10-Day Contract
- Oshae Brissett Named to All-G League Second Team