Growlers Earn Sixteenth Straight Win at Mile One Centre
The Newfoundland Growlers extended their overall winning streak to 11 games and their home winning streak to 16 games and now sit third in ECHL history for the longest home winning streak in a 7-1 victory over the Kansas City Mavericks Wednesday night at Mile One Centre.
Giorgio Estephan opened the scoring for the second straight night at 11:43 of the opening period after whacking a loose puck in the crease behind Tyler Parsons for his 17th of the season with assists coming from The Bradley Bunch for a 1-0 Growlers lead. Marcus Power followed that up by re-directing a Brady Ferguson shot home with 3:28 to play in the first period for his 18th of the season and sending the home team to the dressing room up 2-0 after 20 minutes of play.
C.J. Eick of the Mavericks was awarded a penalty shot just 13 seconds into the second period, but struck the crossbar to preserve the 2-0 Growlers lead, and just under three minutes later Trey Bradley roofed a wrister for a 3-0 lead.
Tommy Panico fired a rebound home at 6:59 of the second period after capitalizing on a two-on-one rush for a 4-0 lead. Mavericks goaltender Tyler Parsons was pulled following the goal after allowing four goals on 17 shots and was replaced by Nick Schneider.
Matt Bradley kept the onslaught rolling with 8:13 to play in the middle frame when he fired a laser up and over Schneider on his first shot of the game for a 5-0 lead after 40 minutes.
David Dziurzynski broke Angus Redmond's shutout bid with 9:41 remaining in the game for a 5-1 score, but Giorgio Estephan responsed undressed a Mavericks defender and deked out Schneider for a highlight reel tally en route to his second of the night just over two minutes later, and Zach O'Brien went bar-down with 1:30 remaining in the game for a 7-1 final score.
Angus Redmond is 10-0 this season
Giorgio Estephan had five points in the two-game series with the Mavericks
The three stars were 3 - T. Panico (NFL), 2 - G. Estephan (NFL) and 1 - T. Bradley (NFL)
The Newfoundland Growlers have a lengthy ECHL All-Star Break and resume action on Friday, January 24th when they take on the Reading Royals at the Santander Arena. Puck drop is 8:30 p.m. Fans can tune into Chris Ballard's call of the game at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
Kansas City Mavericks (17-19-2-0) at Newfoundland Growlers (29-10-0-0)
Wednesday, January 15th - Mile One Centre - St. John's, NL
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
0 - 1 1 1st NFL 11:43 G. Estephan (17) M. Bradley, T. Bradley V 3 4 5 17 22 H 6 14 27 29 44
0 - 2 2 1st NFL 16:32 M. Power (18) B. Ferguson, Z. O'Brien PP V 8 19 23 25 H 6 9 10 22 29
0 - 3 3 2nd NFL 3:05 T. Bradley (9) J. Brazeau, S. Sapego V 7 8 17 22 25 H 4 6 14 17 26
0 - 4 4 2nd NFL 6:59 T. Panico (2) R. Woods, J. Brazeau V 3 4 5 17 22 H 3 4 13 14 17
0 - 5 5 2nd NFL 11:47 M. Bradley (6) G. Estephan, E. Neugold V 7 8 19 25 29 H 4 8 26 27 29
1 - 5 6 3rd KC 10:19 D. Dziurzynski (8) C. Eick, C. Watson PP V 3 5 22 23 25 H 4 8 13 15
1 - 6 7 3rd NFL 13:11 G. Estephan (18) A. Luchuk PP V 2 5 7 19 H 3 9 26 27 29
1 - 7 8 3rd NFL 18:30 Z. O'Brien (12) G. Johnston, R. Woods PP V 2 19 22 25 H 3 10 13 15 43
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 15, 2020
- Greenville Edges out Norfolk in Overtime Thriller - Norfolk Admirals
- MacPherson Scores in OT as Swamp Rabbits Nip Admirals - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Milner Stymies IceMen as Stingrays Win 4-0 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Glads Mauled by Solar Bears in 7-3 Defeat - Atlanta Gladiators
- Farley Impresses in Debut, But 'Blades Top Wings - Kalamazoo Wings
- Stingrays Storm Past Jacksonville 4-0 - South Carolina Stingrays
- Thunder Drop Home Tilt against Mariners, 4-1 - Adirondack Thunder
- Ronning and Kile Each Score a Pair as Mariners Drown out Thunder - Maine Mariners
- Growlers Earn Sixteenth Straight Win at Mile One Centre - Newfoundland Growlers
- Mavs Go .500 on Road Trip After Loss in Newfoundland - Kansas City Mavericks
- Steelheads Sign Goaltender Arthur Brey Ahead of Tonight's Game - Idaho Steelheads
- Fuel Announce Roster Moves - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - January 15 - ECHL
- K-Wings Sign Forward Austin Farley from Top Swedish League - Kalamazoo Wings
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Komets Hall of Fame to Expand; Emrick, Schrock to be Inducted into Class of 2020 - Fort Wayne Komets
- Game Preview: Stingrays at IceMen, January 15, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Mariners Host Star Wars Night January 24 - Maine Mariners
- Flyers Reassign G Sandstrom to Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Be the First to Skate on the Outdoor Rink - Toledo Walleye
- Goaltender Tomas Sholl Earns First AHL Recall to Texas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Americans Grab Overtime Win over Utah - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.