Griffins Sign Derek Hulak to PTO
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Griffins on Wednesday signed forward Derek Hulak (HOO-lak) to a professional tryout.
Hulak, 29, has three points (2-1-3) in eight games with the Hershey Bears this season after sitting out all of 2017-18 due to injury. In his career, the 6-foot, 185-pound winger has skated in 167 career AHL games with Texas (2013-2016), Utica (2016-17) and Hershey, and tallied 94 points (45-49-94), a plus-22 rating and 46 penalty minutes. He has logged 10 career Calder Cup Playoff contests with Texas from 2014-16 and helped the Stars claim the 2014 Calder Cup.
A native of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Hulak played four seasons with the University of Saskatchewan prior to joining the AHL. From 2010-14, he accumulated 123 points (34-89-123) in 87 games and was twice recognized as the league's top scorer (2013-14 and 2011-12).
Hulak made his pro debut with the Tulsa Oilers of the CHL in 2010-11, posting 14 points (4-10-14) in 21 games. He played in the WHL from 2005-10 between Regina (2005-07) and Saskatoon (2006-10) and collected 242 points (95-147-242) in 267 games.
The Griffins are on a seven-game point and five-game winning streak and host the San Antonio Rampage tonight at 7 p.m. to close out a four-game homestand.
Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2018
- Admirals Stumble in Texas - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolf Pack Edged by Late Goal - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bridgeport pushes its undefeated in regulation streak at home to 12 games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Milano Tallies Three Points as Monsters Cruise Past Phantoms, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Late Surge Not Enough on Road - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Dominate Calder Cup Champion Marlies in 5-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Recall Defenseman McArdle - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Battle Bruins Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Goaltender Lankinen Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Cooler Bag Giveaway, Illinois Lottery Cup on Weekend Docket - Rockford IceHogs
- Senators Acquire Elliott, Lindberg from Pittsburgh - Belleville Senators
- Admirals Sign Duncan Siemens to AHL Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Trade for Sexton, Erkamps and Scarfo - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Receive Carr Loan, Move Duke to Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Grand Rapids Summons Hamilton from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Host Wolf Pack in â??Wednesday Night Rivalry - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game #20 Preview: Tucson at San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Thunderbirds Announce Staff Promotion - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rampage Sign Taylor to Professional Tryout - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Sign Derek Hulak to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Condors Have 5 Dollar Margaritas Tonight at 6:30 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Sabres Assign Tennyson to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Dean Kukan to Cleveland Monsters for Purpose of Conditioning - Cleveland Monsters
- Hogs to Host Outdoor Practice in Belvidere on December 11 - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners, Oro Valley Rotary Club to Host Food Drive for IMPACT of Southern Arizona - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Griffins Encounter Monsters and Moose Before Break
- Late Goals Propel Rockford Past Griffins, 2-1
- Griffins Recall Moore, Sign Spezia to PTO
- Depleted Griffins Fight Back for Shootout Win over Division Leaders
- Promotional Advisory: Another Winning Wednesday Coming up against Cleveland