Griffins Sign Derek Hulak to PTO
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Grand Rapids Griffins on Wednesday signed forward Derek Hulak (HOO-lak) to a professional tryout.
Hulak, 29, has three points (2-1-3) in eight games with the Hershey Bears this season after sitting out all of 2017-18 due to injury. In his career, the 6-foot, 185-pound winger has skated in 167 career AHL games with Texas (2013-2016), Utica (2016-17) and Hershey, and tallied 94 points (45-49-94), a plus-22 rating and 46 penalty minutes. He has logged 10 career Calder Cup Playoff contests with Texas from 2014-16 and helped the Stars claim the 2014 Calder Cup.
A native of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Hulak played four seasons with the University of Saskatchewan prior to joining the AHL. From 2010-14, he accumulated 123 points (34-89-123) in 87 games and was twice recognized as the league's top scorer (2013-14 and 2011-12).
Hulak made his pro debut with the Tulsa Oilers of the CHL in 2010-11, posting 14 points (4-10-14) in 21 games. He played in the WHL from 2005-10 between Regina (2005-07) and Saskatoon (2006-10) and collected 242 points (95-147-242) in 267 games.
The Griffins are on a seven-game point and five-game winning streak and host the San Antonio Rampage tonight at 7 p.m. to close out a four-game homestand.
Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2018
- Admirals Stumble in Texas - Milwaukee Admirals
- Wolf Pack Edged by Late Goal - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bridgeport pushes its undefeated in regulation streak at home to 12 games - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Milano Tallies Three Points as Monsters Cruise Past Phantoms, 5-1 - Cleveland Monsters
- Comets Late Surge Not Enough on Road - Utica Comets
- P-Bruins Dominate Calder Cup Champion Marlies in 5-0 Win - Providence Bruins
- IceHogs Recall Defenseman McArdle - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Battle Bruins Tonight - Toronto Marlies
- Goaltender Lankinen Reassigned to Indy - Rockford IceHogs
- Cooler Bag Giveaway, Illinois Lottery Cup on Weekend Docket - Rockford IceHogs
- Senators Acquire Elliott, Lindberg from Pittsburgh - Belleville Senators
- Admirals Sign Duncan Siemens to AHL Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- Penguins Trade for Sexton, Erkamps and Scarfo - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Wolves Receive Carr Loan, Move Duke to Vegas - Chicago Wolves
- Grand Rapids Summons Hamilton from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sound Tigers Host Wolf Pack in â??Wednesday Night Rivalry - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game #20 Preview: Tucson at San Diego - Tucson Roadrunners
- Thunderbirds Announce Staff Promotion - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rampage Sign Taylor to Professional Tryout - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Sign Derek Hulak to PTO - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Condors Have 5 Dollar Margaritas Tonight at 6:30 PM - Bakersfield Condors
- Sabres Assign Tennyson to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Columbus Blue Jackets Assign Defenseman Dean Kukan to Cleveland Monsters for Purpose of Conditioning - Cleveland Monsters
- Hogs to Host Outdoor Practice in Belvidere on December 11 - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners, Oro Valley Rotary Club to Host Food Drive for IMPACT of Southern Arizona - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.